48 ford

A few months ago I was given my brother's 48 Ford coupe after his passing.  It had set in his garage for 20 plus years without being started. Once I got it home and with some help from a friend we got it running.  I've took it out on some side roads.  It rides horrible and drives terrible. The turning radius is awful.  I have very little information on this car. The things I do know is it has a 327 chevy engine in it. Chevy transmission and rear end. I've been told it's still on the 48 original chassis. My question with out alot of funds what can I do to get a better ride and a better feel. It rides like a horse and wagon or maybe not that good. Any suggestions.  Thanks

image000001(2).jpg

image000000(2).jpg

You inherited your brother's hot rod. Besides the change to the powertrain, I'll bet that the suspension was severely modified to lower the car's ride height. There might be changes to the steering and  braking as well. It looks nice in the photos and the body seems to have been left stock.  You need to figure out how much has been modified and how much it can be improved. Good luck.

• Like 2

Post some pictures of the chassis so people on this forum familiar with a 48 Ford can tell if it has been modified and how to improve the situation. Bring the car to a tire store with a lift so you can good pictures of the underside. Also, it may be helpful to post those pictures in the "technical" or "Ford and Mercury 1932-1953" sections of this forum. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think the first thing to do would be to replace the 20 + year old tyres then I would suggest you take it to a Hot Rod builders shop and they can probably tell you exactly what has been done to the car and what would needed to bring it up to your expectations.

• Like 1