Wheel option in 1965

ericisback

The wheel options for Buicks make me dizzy 😖  So, in 1965 were there more than two factory options for Riviera wheels?  Are the two I'm thinking about correct?

1) Chrome road wheel

2) Wire wheel with two bar spinners

Is the chrome road wheel what some refer to as a rally wheel (similar to the Pontiac rally I and rally II's)?

I also see some other wire wheel, but I can't tell if it was originally available on the Riviera.  Thanks for any help !

2021-12-05_174632.jpg

2021-12-05_175742.jpg

Edited by ericisback (see edit history)

57 minutes ago, RivNut said:

1965 Rivera base cover.  The base cover for the Gran Sport is this same cover with the spinner from the 63/64 cast wheel cover.

00426A04-06FB-4A10-9448-868E3BC826DA.jpeg.2fdce968b5eefcf56ecb05af6312966b.jpeg

I see, so the STANDARD cover for the Riviera and the GS were different (because of the spinners). In addition, both the regular Riv. and the GS could then be ungraded with the other wire wheel, or the chrome road wheel, correct?

32 minutes ago, Rivdrivn said:

And most buyers of the Gran Sport also opted for the chrome road wheels. Hence, these are rare as hen’s teeth.

A1D8BB5F-F3CF-4CFE-AFF0-DBAB3749E04A.jpeg

Darwin Falk tends to believe that the “X” on my 1965 broadcast sheet indicates chrome road wheels (as with later years). I believe a “9” on the sheet indicated the standard turbine spinners on the GS. 

Does anyone else have any info that is different than this? I’m trying to get the car back to as close to original as possible. Thanks!!!

65EA3A59-1809-445E-BD22-6B0787FAC59F.jpeg

Edited by ericisback (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

And most buyers of the Gran Sport also opted for the chrome road wheels. Hence, these are rare as hen’s teeth.

A1D8BB5F-F3CF-4CFE-AFF0-DBAB3749E04A.jpeg

Are these the same as yours?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1963-1964-1965-BUICK-RIVIERA-TURBINE-FINNED-ALUMINUM-SPINNER-WHEELCOVERS-/254971616652?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

11 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

The options were a wire wheel cover and the chrome wheel.  

Pat, so in strict Buick 65 Riviera options the turbine was not an option? I’m all in with what is.

‘However, the 65 Riviera wheel is made with the 4 holes for the turbine to be mounted. Of course, it would not be the first time an automotive part would accept another part, but was not meant to be by marketing standards. Another item is the word STANDARD option was used in the original post. By comparison one post asked what was the standard tire size for the 1963 Riviera. My answer was 7.10 15. Another knowledgeable person chimed in with the 6” tire was also standard. So, it does take much to confuse me. Still having fun confused or not. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Turbinator

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ericisback said:

Are these the same as yours?

Mine are the same model with same sparkle. I have two exceptions. All mine are solid and are not in need of repair. The seller I’ll say is a gent and points a crack that has to be TIG welded on both sides. If you know a fabricator that will do the job AND you know how to refinish weld metal to match the contour then his set is an option. Secondly although his center medallions are in good shape, mine are new and flawless . As an aside after you view my pictures and you don’t like my product send them back and I’ll give you your sale money back. You handle shipping both ways. I’m not in need drama nor negotiation. My price is the price. A lot of work is invested in these covers and are not items I purchased for quick resale. These wheel covers are rare and to buy them ready to put on your car is even more rare.Thank you for your inquiry.

Turbinator
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1963-1964-1965-BUICK-RIVIERA-TURBINE-FINNED-ALUMINUM-SPINNER-WHEELCOVERS-/254971616652?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

According to the window sticker for my 1963, it was delivered with the optional “oversized tires” which were the 7.60 x 15 tires.  The Team Buick website has a complete list of all options for all models of the 1963 Buicks.  Note L on that list says that options T4 & T5 (white sidewall & black sidewall tires oversized tires) - model 4747 only - were 7.60 tires on 6” rims.  The standard tire/wheel combination for the Riviera was the 7.10 x 15” on a 5.5” rim.  You could get the  M9 cast aluminum wheel cover option on either the 5.5” or the 6” rim. BUT, the covers for the 6” wheels  came with a 1/4” longer mounting stud to compensate for the wider wheel width (1/4” on each side of the face for a total of 1/2”.) The difference in length of the stud is all in the mounting shoulder of the stud, all threaded parts are the same. If anyone needs the particulars on these mounting studs for these cast aluminum covers, let me know and I’ll post a copy of the service bulletin. When they were new, the studs were color coded for each length.  DO NOT mount the cast aluminum covers for 5.5” inch wheels on 6” wheels. The pressure that hold the cover in place will be placed on the rim and the cover rather than on the shoulder of the stud. You may have seen pictures of these cast covers where only the turbine fins are present. That is because the covers were mounted on 6” rims using studs for 5.5” wheels. Normal road pressure from the wheel will cause the outer rim of the cast cover to break off. If it makes you more comfortable, the wheel width has nothing to do with the way conventional wheel covers fit. They’re the same for all 15” wheels.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Pat, so in strict Buick 65 Riviera options the turbine was not an option? I’m all in with what is.

‘However, the 65 Riviera wheel is made with the 4 holes for the turbine to be mounted. Of course, it would not be the first time an automotive part would accept another part, but was not meant to be by marketing standards. Another item is the word STANDARD option was used in the original post. By comparison one post asked what was the standard tire size for the 1963 Riviera. My answer was 7.10 15. Another knowledgeable person chimed in with the 6” tire was also standard. So, it does take much to confuse me. Still having fun confused or not. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Turbinator

The turbines were not an option in 1965 after a two year run but they would sure look good on one!!  Hope all is well in your home as well Bob!

7 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Turbinator

All 15” wheels for all model Buicks were made with those four holes for ease of production. Those same holes were used for clips for “poverty” caps.  I have a few clips if anyone is interested. Here’s a picture of a 67 Buick with the “dog dish” / “poverty” hub caps.8F70B0F0-8E55-4A43-A5D7-EC48E8F3BE06.jpeg.bf975ab4ea380191ab456d9466325615.jpeg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1