49 Buick Super Water temp. gauge

Skvitt

First drain the coolant. Is the heat guage functional ? If not try using some heat. Use an acetline torch.  heat, let it cool, heat again and repeat this process over several days . Use a brass punch and tap gently frequently. spray penetrating oil during the process. That is what I will do.

I do not know this first hand, but in another thread about an erratic temperature gauge, another user named DonMicheletti  posted on 10/19/21:  "The last rocker arm stanchion  "bolt" on the distributor side of the engine is actually a stud. The stud hole is tapped through to the water jacket directly above the temp sensor bulb. If you remove the stud you have access to the water side of the bulb and you can manipulate the bulb through the hole to loosen it.

It still can be a challenge.

Be sure to use a sealant when replacing the stud or you will get water in the oil."   

Like I said, I don't know firsthand if this is true, but if it is, it can be a fantastic way to coax out that bulb.  I for one, and I am sure I'm not alone, have twisted that bulb off in attempts to remove it.

4 hours ago, Pete O said:

I do not know this first hand, but in another thread about an erratic temperature gauge, another user named DonMicheletti  posted on 10/19/21:  "The last rocker arm stanchion  "bolt" on the distributor side of the engine is actually a stud. The stud hole is tapped through to the water jacket directly above the temp sensor bulb. If you remove the stud you have access to the water side of the bulb and you can manipulate the bulb through the hole to loosen it.

It still can be a challenge.

Be sure to use a sealant when replacing the stud or you will get water in the oil."   

Like I said, I don't know firsthand if this is true, but if it is, it can be a fantastic way to coax out that bulb.  I for one, and I am sure I'm not alone, have twisted that bulb off in attempts to remove it.

TRUE!   And be SURE to not use a stud [ or bolt ] that is too long when replacing.

Ben

• Like 1