Riviera 1963 blowing oil filters when cold start

Ocotillo Bandit

Hello all

I will try to explain my problem here for help, my Riviera 1963 with the original 401 occasionally blows the oil out of the filter seal, more commonly when cold start, when I go under to check the oil filter it is loose and notice a blown swollen walls, I tried different top brands of oil filters but keeps doing it, also notice the oil is too thick in cold mornings and wonder if I may be using the wrong oil density, so fat it only does it in the morning first start. I am tighten the filter according to manufacturers specs by hand. Should I use a wrench to tight it more or you think I have an oil pump problem?

Please give any advice, I'm afraid it happens on the freeway and blow the engine.

Thank you all for helping. 

Quick update 

I checked the oil filter it was loose again but found this time the issue got even worsed, it actually came apart when I removed it (see pictures) This time I will replace it with a K&N I think it doesn't get any better than that but suggestions welcome here.

Performing a forensic analysis of the filter I found a significant amount of dirt that looks like charcoal stuck on the bottom of cardboard cartridge inner piece but it looks in good shape, not damaged or distorted,  seems to me like an oil pan flush is in order, I don't know if it can be done without removing the engine,  let me know please.

Please share any comments or ideas, local mechanics don't have a clue of this problem but is more often in cold weather first start. 

Thank you all and Happy Holidays. 

20211127_091555.jpg

20211127_091140.jpg

There is an oil pressure relief spring built into your oil pump.

401-425 Buick Nailhead Oil Pump Rebuild Kit - Walmart.com

If someone with "a little bit of knowledge" was in there monkeying around they may have done some thinking they would increase the pressure, like putting spacers in.

Or it may just be stuck. I would check it even thought you have to drop the pan.

Agree with psychostang, what weight and oil are you using and where do you live and average temp? I stick with WIX filters from Oreillys but I can’t imagine K and N performing poorly. Take a look at your engine side filter threads - does it look like it was cross threaded at any point in its life?

• Like 1

There is also an oil filter bypass valve built into the oil filter adapter housing. It is designed to open if there is a dramatic difference in inlet pressure versus outlet pressure. It`s easy to check to be sure it isnt stuck closed since you`re changing oil filters and you will be looking at it once you remove the filter.

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 2