1928 BUICK (2 DOOR SEDAN) - $3,500 (Not Mine)

EmTee

FOR SALE 1928 BUICK, 2 DOOR SEDAN, BARN FIND, NEVER TOUCHED. BEEN INSIDE 50 YEARS. FROM UPSTATE NY.TOP WOOD NEES SOME ATTENTION, THIS IS A 6 CYL, RESTORERS DREAM. WHERE CAN YOU FIND A 1928 CAR, NOT ALL RUSTED OUT FOR THIS PRICE? CALL BEFORE 8PM 845 FIVE FIVE ONE 10FIVE 7.

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/atq/d/slate-hill-1928-buick-door-sedan/7407822681.html

100g0g_dUCwRAp5WNyz_0d40hq_600x450.jpg00J0J_gnBKjq2pWhnz_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg

• Like 5

I looked into this car a few months ago.

Different owner now, maybe a flipper or someone who got in over their head.

I do have some interior and engine shots of the 28 if any one would want to see them.

A real project car but very original.

Bill

Edited by wmsue
correction- new owner (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

A few more:

418608195_Buick28.jpg.d80150255539006f293c03222de97271.jpg555745157_Buick28-2.jpg.2e510abb4e20c122da54f33432fcee03.jpg757526207_Buick28-3.jpg.64e7c5e80b92b45e2401adb50b7f9724.jpg2222.jpg.5354f3cbc5b71a514b5a01ee59d3a89a.jpg

Since I'm looking for a car that needs wood replacement (I know...sounds foolish....but...) I was interested in these cars. But since most of my other cars are of the open top variety and I do like orphan cars, I passed because it didn't click at least one of those boxes.

Bill

• Thanks 2

And I hate to sound this way, but when I am considering a 1920's closed Buick I want a long wheel base Master.  I located one in Missouri, waiting on numbers.   This car, in my opinion only, is a $700 car, mostly for parts.  Restoration would greatly exceed the cost, and I am not one that usually quotes that comment, but if you love the car, great - go for it.  Do as much as you can yourself.  Restoration of old cars is a great hobby, but there are a lot of nice cars out there, closed cars, pre war.  Many not seeing any interest.   

So, for me, $700 is my offer (I know this is a 3rd person presentation) and he would laugh at that.  So, it will continue to sit.  Who buys it and at what price will never be known.  

The Craigslist price is $5500  - not $3500.  

It also appears to be for sale from a different seller than the man I talked with. Different phone number and area code.

There are quite a few ads on Craigs for it in the NY area including the car sitting on a trailer.

It is the same car because I have the same barn photos that were posted.

Definitely not worth anywhere near his asking price.

Bill

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)

7 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

And I hate to sound this way, but when I am considering a 1920's closed Buick I want a long wheel base Master.  I located one in Missouri, waiting on numbers.   This car, in my opinion only, is a $700 car, mostly for parts.  Restoration would greatly exceed the cost, and I am not one that usually quotes that comment, but if you love the car, great - go for it.  Do as much as you can yourself.  Restoration of old cars is a great hobby, but there are a lot of nice cars out there, closed cars, pre war.  Many not seeing any interest.   

So, for me, $700 is my offer (I know this is a 3rd person presentation) and he would laugh at that.  So, it will continue to sit.  Who buys it and at what price will never be known.  

Crazy a 20’s car would only be worth $700

you cannot even get a Kia Rio for that... 

6 hours ago, 1934DodgeTruck said:

Crazy a 20’s car would only be worth $700

you cannot even get a Kia Rio for that... 

Pre War closed cars that are not street rod candidates are dropping in value. This is for projects to drivers. 

If you want to buy this car for $3500 I’m not stopping you. If a car is priced right, we see them sell within 1-5 weeks.  

The folks interested in them find them, then start thinking about how much they do or don’t want it.  But in this case, because it’s a Standard, and it needs a complete restoration at the cost of at least $50,000 maybe more, folks are not interested unless they can get it basically at no cost.  

That is what $500 to $1000 is. Purchased at that price, it can be and likely would be parted out when the next owner gets buyers remorse.   

I suspect this seller only has $500 to $1500 in it’s purchase. If it is in new hands at a $2500 or so purchase then that was over payment and as we know everybody wants to make money on their old cars, not break even.  So it will sit. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wmsue said:

Seller changed his mind....again.

Price back up to $3,500

What the??  I try to be nice but this seller needs to get a clue. Even $2,500 is way too much for this. Barely even a parts car. Then to jerk the price up and down is ludicrous.

Let’s see: it’s been listed for months and no takers. Let’s raise the price and see what happens. No, let’s drop the price to drum up interest. Wait, someone is interested so I’ll raise the price again. 

Good luck with that…

Yes, not worth following.  Admittedly I would get frustrated at times with some of my Facebook ads (not automotive) - Craigslist - and drop the price to "catch" attention.    There are a fair amount of Craigslist trolls, and now Facebook, who are only looking at prices.  It could be a driveway rock and if it is listed as "Free" you will get an unbelievable amount of "Is It Still Available?"  

But in this case, if he truly wants to move it, and this goes for everybody, then a well sorted 10 day ebay auction is the best tool, at a staring price that is low, let the market decide.  Granted you have to live with it, but that moves the car to a new home.  

When my ex-wife said she wanted a divorce in November 2019, I had 2 Cadillacs in the garage, a 1976 CDV with 60,000 original miles purchased for $6,000 and a 1993 Allante convertible with 110,000 miles purchased for $4000.  

I quickly put them on ebay because I needed to move them out.  The 76 CDV went for $3200 gross to a buyer in New York.  Net after ebay took their money, maybe $2800.   The Allante went to New Orleans I think for around $3,400 BUT had a check engine light come on the Northstar after the auction end (of course) so I dropped $800 in plugs and coils before shipping.  

This is the reality for me, so I am real careful about getting back in.  I wouldn't pay more than a $1,000 for that old Buick.  

• Like 2