'33 Plymouth 2 Door Sedan PD

New to me, just purchased this last week and excited to get it going.  2 owner car that went to the body shop over 25 years ago to be freshened up and was never on the road after that, missing a couple items that I'm hoping to find soon and have it on the road by next spring.

Screenshot_20211109-190202_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211109-190155_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211109-190215_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211109-190147_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211109-190255_Facebook.jpg

Edited by feastersss (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Got some cleaning to do there but what you have looks very close to original. Even the carburetor looks to be the correct era which is a bit unusual. You even have the original vacuum operated automatic clutch.

The engine is totally the wrong color but that is easily fixed. Likewise the correct hose clamps are available and easily changed. I don’t see quite enough of the brake master cylinder to know if that is correct but it could be.

Some judges in the Plymouth Owners Club might object to the air cleaner. The early cars and/or marketing photos show a helmet style air cleaner but lots of 33 Plymouths I have seen have your air filter and have no reason to believe they weren’t original. Only thing wrong with it that I can see is that you have the wrong end facing forward. If you look carefully at the side you have facing the firewall you will find the word "front".

Steele rubber should have the rubber parts you need for the gas filler spout, spare tire holder and rear bumper arms.

You may find my vanity site at https://www.ply33.com/ of interest.

Looking a bit more. . . The temperature gauge fittings look odd. Looks like there is an adaptor there for feeding water to a heater. Is/was there a heater under the dash?

By the way, the interior looks very original and in very good condition.

You found a really nice car there!

Thanks for all the info, very helpful.  I'm missing the wiper arm and the spare tire rod from what I can tell for now.  I see a lot of Fords and some Chevys but rarely ever see the Plymouth cars which is odd considering I live in what used to be a very large Chrysler Manufacturing town.

4 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Looking a bit more. . . The temperature gauge fittings look odd. Looks like there is an adaptor there for feeding water to a heater. Is/was there a heater under the dash?

By the way, the interior looks very original and in very good condition.

You found a really nice car there!

I'm not to sure about the heater, I didn't look under the dash real close and I have it in a friend's barn right now.  I was told the car only has 66K original miles, so I would assume the interior is original. 

10 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Got some cleaning to do there but what you have looks very close to original. Even the carburetor looks to be the correct era which is a bit unusual. You even have the original vacuum operated automatic clutch.

The engine is totally the wrong color but that is easily fixed. Likewise the correct hose clamps are available and easily changed. I don’t see quite enough of the brake master cylinder to know if that is correct but it could be.

Some judges in the Plymouth Owners Club might object to the air cleaner. The early cars and/or marketing photos show a helmet style air cleaner but lots of 33 Plymouths I have seen have your air filter and have no reason to believe they weren’t original. Only thing wrong with it that I can see is that you have the wrong end facing forward. If you look carefully at the side you have facing the firewall you will find the word "front".

Steele rubber should have the rubber parts you need for the gas filler spout, spare tire holder and rear bumper arms.

You may find my vanity site at https://www.ply33.com/ of interest.

What color should the motor be?

Keiser31 in an old post you said your g’father was Joseph Braun- that’s my great grandfather. I stumbled onto this forum, no idea how it works. Can’t send a personal message so I’ll put this out there. You may be able to get in touch since you’ve posted a lot of content- would love to chat. 

Btw, I agree, the engine should be silver with black accessories.

1 hour ago, familyangel said:

Keiser31 in an old post you said your g’father was Joseph Braun- that’s my great grandfather. I stumbled onto this forum, no idea how it works. Can’t send a personal message so I’ll put this out there. You may be able to get in touch since you’ve posted a lot of content- would love to chat. 

Btw, I agree, the engine should be silver with black accessories.

I will private message you.

John

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Silver with black accessories.

Not quite, that would be for slightly newer cars. See https://www.ply33.com/Backmatter/EngineColor

3 hours ago, feastersss said:

Thanks for all the info, very helpful.  I'm missing the wiper arm and the spare tire rod from what I can tell for now.  I see a lot of Fords and some Chevys but rarely ever see the Plymouth cars which is odd considering I live in what used to be a very large Chrysler Manufacturing town.

Standard Trico wiper arm and blade. I'll have to measure mine to see how long, but I know I got my current ones from a vintage Ford supplier (Ford used Trico too for at least a while).

Rod from spare tire holder to frame (goes through body behind rear seat) is simply a rod threaded at both ends. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate. I believe I got the grommet for where it goes into the body from Steele Rubber but it is a very standard looking grommet and you could probably find a suitable one at a local hardware store.

The vintage cars you see now are based largely on how popular they have been with collectors over the recent decades. Ford and Chevy have larger followings than Plymouth or other Chrysler products. That is also reflected in the prices, for the same vintage, body style and condition your Plymouth will have a much lower market value than the Ford or Chevy.

One thing in favor of the 1933 and later Plymouths is that Chrysler settled on a good design and kept things largely the same for decades after that. There are differences from year to year, and 1933 being the first of the six cylinders has more differences than later cars. But even there you can get nearly all your wear related mechanical parts at your local better auto supply store as long as you know what the cross references are. That is one reason I created the database at https://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric as it is how I keep track of what modern part numbers I need to ask for when getting things for my car.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Not quite, that would be for slightly newer cars. See https://www.ply33.com/Backmatter/EngineColor

Standard Trico wiper arm and blade. I'll have to measure mine to see how long, but I know I got my current ones from a vintage Ford supplier (Ford used Trico too for at least a while).

Rod from spare tire holder to frame (goes through body behind rear seat) is simply a rod threaded at both ends. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate. I believe I got the grommet for where it goes into the body from Steele Rubber but it is a very standard looking grommet and you could probably find a suitable one at a local hardware store.

The vintage cars you see now are based largely on how popular they have been with collectors over the recent decades. Ford and Chevy have larger followings than Plymouth or other Chrysler products. That is also reflected in the prices, for the same vintage, body style and condition your Plymouth will have a much lower market value than the Ford or Chevy.

One thing in favor of the 1933 and later Plymouths is that Chrysler settled on a good design and kept things largely the same for decades after that. There are differences from year to year, and 1933 being the first of the six cylinders has more differences than later cars. But even there you can get nearly all your wear related mechanical parts at your local better auto supply store as long as you know what the cross references are. That is one reason I created the database at https://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric as it is how I keep track of what modern part numbers I need to ask for when getting things for my car.

I stand (sit) corrected.

17 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Looks like the arm and the blade are both 7.5 inches on my car. But looking online I only see 7 1/4 inch so maybe that is it.

One source for the wiper arms: https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/product.htm?pid=977089&cat=0

One source for the blades: https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/product.htm?pid=977076&cat=0

IMG_2170.jpg.c011677a72d0d70971138c43b9d63024.jpgIMG_2169.jpg.869d469c255c76aeb962bdc9c6bc814a.jpg

Nice find!  My family and I enjoy our '33 PD 4 door and I have learned a lot from this forum.  These cars definitely get peoples attention and are fun to drive.  Unfortunately, the clutch just went out on mine and beginning the tear down on that now. 

Once you have time and if you would be willing, I would be interested in seeing more pictures of the original upholstery.  At some point, I will have to redo mine and would like to get as close to original as possible.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Edited by Crazyred (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Crazyred said:

Nice find!  My family and I enjoy our '33 PD 4 door and I have learned a lot from this forum.  These cars definitely get peoples attention and are fun to drive.  Unfortunately, the clutch just went out on mine and beginning the tear down on that now. 

Once you have time and if you would be willing, I would be interested in seeing more pictures of the original upholstery.  At some point, I will have to redo mine and would like to get as close to original as possible.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Kathy Schrack in Pennsylvania makes interior kits for these cars that are very close to original. She usually has an ad in the Plymouth Bulletin (the magazine for the Plymouth Owners Club).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I  have a large stock of trico wiper blades and arms from the 1920's through the 1970's.  And I have an extensive library of  trico books  complete with exploded diagrams for nearly every make and Model  car that they produced parts for . The correct length arm is a P-1221- 7 1/2" in length  and the correct blade is 7 1/4" . I have these i n NOS condition . If you need any other help , you can call me at 407-865-4851 ---Bob

• 3 weeks later...