My kid smashed up the front end of my TC. Is it worth it to fix it?

RTW

It is/was in great shape.  Less than 10K miles on 16v engine.  It needs a new hood and everything else in the front end.  New head lights, fenders at least one wheel, maybe more...  Any idea on how much the parts would cost?  I am also a little worried that the intercooler might be damaged.  

1989 but I got a factory engine in 1999 and hardly drove it after that.  I am the original owner.  I am in So Cal.  The whole front end is smashed.  There might be damage to the radiator and intercooler.  Not sure yet.  I had it dropped off at the body shop.  I'll get some pictures and attach them.

Just so you know incase you do decide to fix it. The hood, radiator support, radiator/intercooler and headlight brackets are specific to 89 only. I have a mint condition 89 radiator/intercooler if you end up looking for one. I also have your oil pan, headlamps and hood. Hood has hail damage but your going to need to have it painted anyways. All located in WI. 

It will also need bumper, grille ( assume it comes with hood) and new wheels.  How much for these parts?  He can repair the fenders but if you have some that would be good.  From the picture, is there anything else you think it might need?

I am pretty sure that using insurance for this repair job will result in a salvage title, reducing the value by a very significant amount. If not using insurance the worst value killer will be a reported accident with major damage on a carfax, etc report. You need to check the strut towers for any shifting which would indicate frame bending.

Well there’s this whole TC in a yard in Illinois if you need a front end. Reasonably priced parts. Tell them Andrew send you. I just bought the factory windshield for $100. And I already have the headlights from it. 

For my headlights, hood, non common block 2.2 oil pan and rad/intercooler combo I’d do $750. But you might want this red hood in the salvage yard. Looked good to me. 

Finding a radiator support might be the hardest part. 

4EEC2D33-A9BF-4EDB-905D-C705BE363D6A.jpeg

0A9725B8-EF7D-4E40-8451-006F448AFC1B.png

Doesn’t anyone have Classic car insurance of some kind where they will fix most anything rather than shell out ‘Declared Value’ amount that should be a lot higher than the cost of repair?

oh, I forgot, you let your dumb, irresponsible kid drive your classic car!
It might be time to get rid of the kid and fix the car.  A tour in the Marine Corps might be a good ‘fix’ for the kid.

Hemi…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marty mopar said:

you let your dumb, irresponsible kid, etc.

Nice response, do you have anything that might be helpful to fix the car? Guess not.

Good thing you aren't a practicing mental health expert.

Marty, there are not civil words to express here about the judgement of anyone involved in the decision of letting a kid take the wheel of a car such as this, and end up with the result visualized here.

Do those photos indicate a father’s wisdom to you?  I don’t think so.

Hemi,  

He is not a young  kid.  He is 31 years old.  I asked him to take that car to gas and washed.  I suspect that there was some sort of malfunction in the brakes or the suspension.  I think he was going quite slow when he braked  to avoid a cat.  Stupid thing to do.  I told him never to avoid animals but you never know how you will react. The car swerved more than it should have.  The car wasn't driven much.  The last time I drove it, it seemed a bit squirrely.  Just got new tires so I attributed it to that but I think there could have been something else wrong.   I do understand your statement that maybe some time spent in the marines would be good.   He suffers from depression as well as some physical issues.  I think the marines is a good thing for many people but not for him.  They wouldn't accept him.  

2 hours ago, marty mopar said:

The brake systems on these cars are a GREAT source of trouble so that may have been the problem.

If you find the cat you can take it to court...but cats have very little money.

The brake system on these cars were very dependable and efficient. 30+ years of little or no maintenance can render any hydraulic brake system less effective, especially the master cylinder on convention braking systems. We have all had experience with the brake pedal going to the floor or fading pedal feeling. Condemning the system itself is not based on a fair evaluation, much the same as condemnation of these cars by automotive writers were not based on fact when they were newly produced, but simply on opinion.

Edited by Hemi Dude
Nothing was written in the first place. (see edit history)