Alloy Artifacts

rocketraider

Some of you are no doubt already aware of this marvelous tool history website. 

The rest of you will soon find it one of your favorites. Buick folks especially look in the Blue Point section and you'll find there were a lot of special tools made to service prewar Buicks.

www.alloy-artifacts.org

Warning- you can spend hours here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boy, that is a fun rabbit hole to go down!  I found information on Bog Manufacturing, the maker of my grandfather's 7/16" hex ratchet-drive socket set that I still have.  It might have been bought from Western Auto in the 1930s.  My father inherited it, was passed on to me, and I used it until I bought a Craftsman 3/8" drive set in the 1970s.

That's what sent me to AA. I have a small collection of Western Auto Wizard tools along with a few pre-50s S-K  and Jamestown NY-made Crescent sockets, which I enjoy using but knew nothing about. 

Alloy Artifacts to the rescue!🙂

Amazes me that after 100 years and countless mergers and acquisitions, the legacy of some of these toolmakers still lives on.

I had seen some of those hex drive sockets, along with female ratchet heads, and didn't know quite what to make of them. Like a lot of things standardization of tools was a while coming.

For a long time, I collected vintage auto mechanic-style tools, including Bog, Ray, early Snap-On (especially 9/32 and 5/8 drive), McKaig-Hatch, Par-X, Mossberg, Billings, Blackhawk, Vlchek, Walden, Stevens-Walden-Worcester, Herbrand, Cornwell, Mac, Plomb, Firestone, Proto Los Angeles, Gray, New Britain, etc, etc, etc. I spent a lot of time on Alloy Artifacts. Amazing site. 

If you need any old tools of that nature, let me know. I'm about to start selling all that stuff on eBay...

• Like 1