1922 Buick hood hardware

Mike Mowen

On 9/26/2021 at 4:11 PM, 3macboys said:

How long are the latches?  I think that I may have some.  I will look in the shop tomorrow.

Don

Not completely sure my car is partly disabled and I didn’t have any when i got it.  I have blindly purchased a few but did get a photo from a connection on this site.  From his photos i have one that match’s.  I’ll have to measure it to let you know.  Your photo raises another question that I’m probably  the sill plates too.   

Mark Shaw's hood and latch panels appear to be from 1913 or earlier. Don't think they would be good for a 1922.

There is a slim chance I may still have one or two latches from a 1928 Buick. Don't know if I can find them or not? If someone can provide better descriptions, measurements, or photos? I will look to see if I can find what I have.

• Like 1

Hood latches are Group No.  8.028 in the parts book  The above pictured latches were used between 1923 and 1931 except not on 50 series models- bracketed in red in the table below.   50 series had a nickel plated tube but should otherwise still be identical.  The tube measures 3-3/8" x 9/16 dia. 

1922 appears to have used 3 different latches, one of which was used for multiple years going back to "D" (1917?)

Hood latch is one of the few parts that were used for multiple years and models. 

I am still looking for a couple more good swing bases for my latches.  I recognize the above photos of latches and handle - they are mine. 

Kevin 

Hood fastener.jpg

Edited by Oregon Desert model 45
edit (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Mark Shaw's hood and latch panels appear to be from 1913 or earlier. Don't think they would be good for a 1922.

There is a slim chance I may still have one or two latches from a 1928 Buick. Don't know if I can find them or not? If someone can provide better descriptions, measurements, or photos? I will look to see if I can find what I have.

image.jpeg.40d72a2172c41a2b2c854bffcd051694.jpeg

This is the most accurate photo I’ve received but I don’t have the length info right now.  I have one of this style I have to measure but I’m guessing it’s approximately 3 inches long.  I’m thinking if I can get four of the same I can make them work

14 hours ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

Hood latches are Group No.  8.028 in the parts book  The above pictured latches were used between 1923 and 1931 except not on 50 series models- bracketed in red in the table below.   50 series had a nickel plated tube but should otherwise still be identical.  The tube measures 3-3/8" x 9/16 dia. 

1922 appears to have used 3 different latches, one of which was used for multiple years going back to "D" (1917?)

Hood latch is one of the few parts that were used for multiple years and models. 

I am still looking for a couple more good swing bases for my latches.  I recognize the above photos of latches and handle - they are mine. 

Kevin 

Hood fastener.jpg

If you have a parts manual covering the 20’s can I ask where you found it I’d like to find an exploded view of the cars if they made them back then.  It would help me identify what I may be missing because I purchased my 22 mostly disassembled.

Someone here probably has a copy of 1922 Parts Book, and various pages from these books show up on this forum.  Below is the only page I saved from 1922 parts book.  I borrowed Mark Shaw's 1924 parts book and copied it for my own use.     The table showing groups of years is from Buick 1916-1932 Master Parts List book which is available online.  It helps identify parts interchange by year and sometimes even has dimensions for very similar parts with multiple variations, but does not have clear illustrations of every part for every year. 

Kevin 

plate 6.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Oregon Desert model 45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1