Recent article - how to Concours photography?

MotiveLensPhoto

4 hours ago, mike6024 said:

There are quite a few videos of the cruise posted to youtube.

Screenshot (872).png

Screenshot (873).png

Screenshot (874).png

You might like this video

That's not what I was asking about. I was looking for the article that mentioned how a photographer shot stills of a Concours. He had a lot of useful tips.

As I ride shotgun, Howard talks aloud about how he’s searching for the best spots.  One pro trick: Watch in the rear-view mirror for the best scenic backdrops, and then pull over and walk back to set up your photos.

“I look for pan shots and shots where they’re making curves, getting the ocean in the background,” he explained. “And we’re looking for locations without telephone poles in the background.”

Pan shots, he noted, are crucial when shooting an action event such as the tour. 

“As a car sweeps by, you follow the car with the camera and shoot at somewhat of a slow shutter speed to blur out the background and get the wheels spinning,” Howard said.  “It’s important to get the wheels spinning.  If you shoot too fast, it’s going to freeze the wheels and the car’s going to look static.

“When you pan shoot, you have to shoot no faster than 250th of a second.  Usually at 125, the wheels are spinning quite nicely.”

Since the fog hasn’t let up, Howard said he needs to make adjustments for the subdued lighting.

“It’s overcast gray so we’re going to bump the ASA up,” he said.  “I’m going to bump it up to 640 so I can shoot high speed.  This Nikon camera shoots up to 10 frames per second, so we’ll see what we can get.”

Oh yeah, Howard came well-equipped for this assignment.  He calls his camera “the Big Gun.”

“It’s a Nikon V500 with a zoom lens of 28 to 300 zoom,” he noted. “So I have everything covered with this lens.”

Shooting the Pebble Beach Tour: here’s how a seasoned pro does it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

As I ride shotgun, Howard talks aloud about how he’s searching for the best spots.  One pro trick: Watch in the rear-view mirror for the best scenic backdrops, and then pull over and walk back to set up your photos.

“I look for pan shots and shots where they’re making curves, getting the ocean in the background,” he explained. “And we’re looking for locations without telephone poles in the background.”

Pan shots, he noted, are crucial when shooting an action event such as the tour. 

“As a car sweeps by, you follow the car with the camera and shoot at somewhat of a slow shutter speed to blur out the background and get the wheels spinning,” Howard said.  “It’s important to get the wheels spinning.  If you shoot too fast, it’s going to freeze the wheels and the car’s going to look static.

“When you pan shoot, you have to shoot no faster than 250th of a second.  Usually at 125, the wheels are spinning quite nicely.”

Since the fog hasn’t let up, Howard said he needs to make adjustments for the subdued lighting.

“It’s overcast gray so we’re going to bump the ASA up,” he said.  “I’m going to bump it up to 640 so I can shoot high speed.  This Nikon camera shoots up to 10 frames per second, so we’ll see what we can get.”

Oh yeah, Howard came well-equipped for this assignment.  He calls his camera “the Big Gun.”

“It’s a Nikon V500 with a zoom lens of 28 to 300 zoom,” he noted. “So I have everything covered with this lens.”

Shooting the Pebble Beach Tour: here’s how a seasoned pro does it

That's the one I was looking for!! Thanks for finding it.