Anyone ever heard of a Trail Boss motorhome (1960's)?

dictator27

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Anyone ever heard of a Trail Boss motorhome (1960's)?

I asked only because I was being curious.  I worked on one about 1970ish.  If memory servers it dated from about 1960-62.  It was a class A about 30-32 feet long.  The original engine was a Buick V8 which was mated to a five speed manual transmission.  The engine was rear mounted with the north end of there engine facing the east side of the motor home.  The rear axle was ahead of the engine so it was flipped over with the pinion facing the rear of the vehicle.  The transmission tail shaft was left of centre so power went through a gear set that took the power on an angle down to another one which was in line with the pinion and a short driveshaft  went forward to the pinion.  I saw it again about 1977-78 on a used car lot priced at $3000.  The engine had been replaced with a Ford 360 and C6 auto trans.

2 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Possibly although their website indicates they have been around for about 30 years.  The motorhome would be 60 now.

Or it could mean 30 years since they started converting horse trailers.  But yeah, if they'd been around for 60 years, I'd think they would mention that.

17 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Or it could mean 30 years since they started converting horse trailers.  But yeah, if they'd been around for 60 years, I'd think they would mention that.

The insignia on their website is intended to look like a branding iron and uses block letters.  On the motorhome which was a dark red colour, the Trail Boss name was hand painted - obviously professionally - in large script letters across the front of it.