39 Buick 41 wiper blades

etownster

I recently acquired a 39 Special 41. I think the the wiper blades are too short at 8 1/4 inches. There is a lot more windshield such that there is enough room for a 12" blade.  Could anyone tell me the OEM 

length of the wiper arm and blade?  Also where should the blades park?

81591876-770.jpg

Edited by etownster (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Green car has the early small wiper transmission. Pivot point is below the glass rubber seal

Billy's car has later wiper transmission.  Pivot point is on the glass rubber seal.

My understanding it was changed because the early wiper coverage is not good and  "park" on the rubber giving problems.

Green car may have wipers too long. But will have a look at other photo's I have & data

Edit

This is an early Buick factory photo.  Wiper blades are short and park horizontally

1939 Buick.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Guys, sorry for once again being a day late and a dollar short. My Trico book lists  wiper blades TAU-9 or U-778 for 1939 Buicks both late and early 40-60 series plus 80-90 series as well. They are all 9 inches long. The arms are AL-60c for both early and late models 40-60 series and 80-90 series arms are Al-50c. I have no length for the wiper arms. 1940 uses the same wiper blades for all series and the arms are AL-50c 40-60 series plus 80-90 series. 50-70 series use AL-60c arms and again I have no length. The same wiper blade is used for all series in 1941 and the arms are  40-60-90 AL-50c,and 50-70 series Al-60c. I have 9 inch blades listed for all models all the way through 1948

Hope this helps

Thanks

Leif 

• Like 1

I am now '39 less  (sold it in late December)   I had the same issue and discovered there are different length arms that may have been put on the car after 80 years.   

The blades are a simple design and come in different lengths.    Don't remember what I purchased but got longer blades and trimmed about 1 1/2 inches off the TOP allowing them to park better.

Most people never noticed the difference,  also my car had the late design transmission.    

Fantastic information. Thanks for taking the time to reply. It appears my 8 1/4 blades are about right for the car when parked horizontally.

I'm thinking of setting the parked position at 10 and 2 as shown to permit a 1-2"longer blade. As they are, they don't sweep enough of the the driver's  

glass to be very useful. Very odd in my view that Buick didn't have a better setup. Perhaps it didn't rain back in the late 30's. 

• Haha 1

I don't think we've found a definitive answer regarding the length of the wiper arms. I have a container of nos trico arms and blades and I'll look and see if I have any boxed arms which have the correct part number. If I do I'll report the length

Thanks

Leif

Hello . I  have been dealing with  NOS Trico wiper blades and arms for over 40 years . If your 1939 Buick is an early model , The wiper arm is 8 13/16" long  ( part #  78045 8 13/16" ) and the Blade is a 78046-9 1/4" .

If your car was manufactured after 1/16/39 , then the wiper arm is 8 3/16" long  ( part #  76570 8 3/16" ) and the Blade is a U-778 -9".

the difference is because of a design change in the wiper linkages . If you need any other help , you are welcome to call me at 407-865-4851   . Thanks  -Bob

• Like 4