1956 buick dashboard

cmm

I removed the top padded section of my dashboard to work/replace wiper parts.  Now I am having trouble reinstalling the top of the dash. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. I am having trouble engaging the complete lip from the lower (vertical) section with the padded section while trying to keep the dash up as it heads toward the windshield to enter the bolts.  Thanks.

Last time I did this was ages ago so maybe I remember it wrong but it just slipped into place without any issues. Can you post a picture of whats happening? Also what model is this in case there is a difference between the full and small series?

I did not see anything in the manual about removing the dash top.  

All I can think of is that your dash might have a crease in it for some reason and so it folds down. In that case I'd try to make a hook from an old coat hanger or something, to hook around the front edge and that may allow you to pull up the front of the dash while pushing it in. 

It has been a while since I did this. Definitely 2 person job and a little persuasion required. I suspect each car will be a little different given the tolerances used in the building process back at the factory. You may need to apply some force to allow the dash top to 'bend' in order to mate correctly.

10 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

It has been a while since I did this. Definitely 2 person job and a little persuasion required. I suspect each car will be a little different given the tolerances used in the building process back at the factory. You may need to apply some force to allow the dash top to 'bend' in order to mate correctly.

A friend stopped by while I easily  installed the dash on my 55.  He said he has been working for a week to install his.  He finally used a port-a-power to spread the A-pillar 1/8 inch and it finally went into place.

• Like 1