New convertible top

Nile

It's time to replace the soft top on one of my TC's.  I want a tan Hartz cloth top.  For those of you upset that this was not a factory option, there is counseling available.  A local shop which has done a nice job on some automotive reupholstery for me has quoted a price of $1,100 for the top and $400for labor.  I am ok with the labor $, but the price for the top seems high.  Since they would be willing to install a top I provide for $400 I'd appreciate suggestions.  Thanks. -  Nile

• Like 1

Hi Nile,

I replaced my old sailcloth top with a tan Hartz on my V6 TC years ago.  The Hartz top is expensive.  I appreciated the look and feel much better than the original but you must use a good sealant on the top.  It seems to stain easily.  I used the Ragg Top products and we're pleased with them.  My current 16 valve has an original sailcloth in A1 condition and I use the Ragg Top products with great results on that material.  When and if I have to replace it I will go with the Hartz.

• Like 2

My car has a Haartz Stayfast canvas tan top on it that is dried out and tore the first time I put it up. Don't expect to get a new one any time soon. I ordered my new one on April 28th and I am still waiting for it. I am told that material delays are horrific right now. I am going to install it myself. I will take tons of pics and post a full play-by-play. If I ever get the new top. BTW, the price I was quoted just to install a top if I provided it was far higher than the total price you were quoted. Over $2K. 

• Like 2