Very Old Muncie Transmission, but for what?

STAYGOLD

Looking to try and identify the original usage for this very old Muncie Transmission.

There are a few numbers in the case, but not sure which one might be a model number.

Any information that could be provided on what this was originally used for would be great.

Thanks.

IMG_3917.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

If it is actually a two speed unit, it is somewhat rare. But not very desirable. Most Muncie units for model Ts and TT trucks have under, direct, and overdrive for forward. Nearly all such Muncie units also have a reverse gear, unlike most other auxiliary transmissions for model Ts. The kicker is that Muncie also made some units to fit a model T or TT that had a first, second, and direct third. It can be quite disappointing to pay the bucks for a Muncie, then get it home and find it does NOT have the desired overdrive. (Never happened to me, but I know a couple people that did that!) The UDO Muncies are one of the preferred auxiliary transmissions for model Ts. They are fairly well made, have a good ratio overdrive, and shift as well as any and better than some. And some people (including me!) like the reverse they have.

Muncie did also make a two speed unit. They were almost always direct and underdrive. While they can be useful, people tend to prefer the Ruckstell or some of the smaller rear driveshaft units. I have never known anyone myself that had a Muncie two speed. I don't know how good or bad they may be. Warford also made a two speed unit. I have known a few people that had those, and they tend to be junk! Whether the Muncie two speed is better than the Warford two speed or not? I do not know. I do know some people that have been burned on the Warford units and are not likely to consider the Muncie two speed.

Most T owners wanting Warfords or Muncies (or Chicagos or Jumbo Giants) want them for the overdrive either in a TT that really needs it, or for a speedster so they can cruise at highway speeds. I have over the years had several of them. And I like to cruise near 70 mph in a speedster! I also had an overdrive in a TT I had years ago. It could do 40 mph with it.

You should pull the top off of it, and check the gears. Determine for sure whether it is a two speed or UDO with reverse, and its condition. The model T clutch wasn't great, and many people never learned how to shift these things properly. A lot of model T auxiliary transmissions are totally beat to death inside. If it is a two speed unit? Figure out for certain if it is and under or over drive. While MOST two speed units were under and direct, once in a rare while an overdrive unit does show up. Those, in good condition, can be desirable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1