New brake shoes wont fit in the Drums

Nick57

This is not my first time replacing brake shoes after everything is back together I can barely get the drum on much less spin it.  Bought a set of Centric shoes and they wont fit in the drum with the adjuster all the way in.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand that they like? Unless I start sanding these their never going to fit.   

I had the same problem with new shoes not fitting in the drum.  It's very difficult to find a shop that will grind shoes as the machines were made illegal due to the asbestos in old brake shoe material.  Modern shoes don't have asbestos but the machines are still illegal.  You'll have to ask discreetly at some old-time brake shops to find a place that will grind them on an AMMCO machine hidden in the back room.  These days, even the sandpaper belts for the machines are expensive and hard to find.  Here's a photo of 12" Buick shoes being ground.

483002077_brakeshoeready.jpg.6defa9c3e98286e1b028cc0723b19206.jpg

Good Call on E-brake cable.  Disconnected it and they slid right on.  I may need a new set but am not sure have to go play with the adjuster.  I don't think they are froze up.  If I need a  new set of those any suggestions on where to buy new ones if I can't adjust the problem out.

I had my '60 Electra rear shoes arced,relined, and fitted to the drum. Had the same problem. I call and the shop told me all kinds of things I must be doing wrong. I took them back and laid them on the counter. The brake guy double checked and sheepishly admitted there were two thickness specs. The standard, thicker ones, were for cars that had the drums turned. Mine weren't. He putt the correct lining on.

A low mileage car can run into stuff like that.

• Like 1