GM Part Numbers for 1968 & 1969 Riviera Hood Hinge Assembly and Spring

NC1968Riviera

There is always such a debate about whether or not the front hood hinges and springs for 1968 and 1969 Rivs are the same or different. .

I finally looked up the part numbers in my two parts manual references [wildaboutcars.com & gmpartswiki.com].

These part numbers are different between the two years.

1968 Riviera, Lesabre, Wildcat & Electra hood hinges: 1387100 (R) / 1387101 (L)
Spring: 1374459 [interchangeable with 1968 Riviera, Lesabre, Wildcat or Electra]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1969 Riviera hood hinges: 1230426 (R) / 1230427 (L)
[not interchangeable with 1969 Lesabre, Wildcat or Electra]
Spring: 1374459 [interchangeable with 1969 Riviera, Lesabre, Wildcat or Electra]

Source: 1960-1973 GM/Buick Illustrated Parts Manual and Parts List Manual [wildaboutcars.com]
and
1981 Buick Parts Manual [gmpartswiki.com]
Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• NC1968Riviera changed the title to GM Part Numbers for 1968 & 1969 Riviera Hood Hinge Assembly and Spring

I wonder whether they are 'functionally interchangeable' but are different due to safety/crash regulations.  I believe the hoods are virtually identical from '68 - '70 so that's why I would be surprised if the hinges wouldn't interchange.  Recall that '67 and '69 model years in particular introduced a number of safety/crash-worthiness changes.  One of those mandates was to reduce the possibility of the rear edge of the hood being forced through the windshield opening and into the passenger compartment.  I could certainly see a different hood hinge being part of such an update for 1969.  The same thing probably applies to '68 & '69 hoods.  I seem to think there were areas formed in the hood support structure to encourage the hood to fold upward near the middle in the event of a front-end crash.  This would likely have caused hinge changes to make sure the hood folded before the hinges broke.

• Like 3

The 68-70 hoods are the same. I believe the 69-70 hood hinges have a different mounting pattern to the inner fender than the 68's had. That is what I have read, at least. I have not seen them side by side to compare. But, if GM issued different part numbers between 68 & 69 then there must be a significant change between the two.

GM may have changed the mounting bolt pattern to ensure that any crash worthiness updates wouldn't be negated by retrofitting older hingesto a '69/'70 model.  Maybe someone who worked at GM or a dealer parts counter around that time could comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 9:51 PM, 68RIVGS said:

I was told that the '69 Hood hinges have a slightly higher lift factor than the '68 versions.

Whether that is true or not - I have no idea.

If we could get some detailed installed hood hinge photos posted here, we may be able to put the debate to bed. My car is in the shop getting one of Tom T's P/S boxes installed so I can't post any photos at this time.

If we can get a close up of the hinge mounting bolts on the inner fender for both 68 & 69 AND images of both year hoods open to their maximum height with a tape measure (or other measuring instrument) measuring the forward lip height from the center of the radiator cross member, it might be educational! 🙂

• 8 months later...

Just a follow along note just for '66 & '67 Hood Hinge parts: 
Years ago, thinking that '66 & '67 Hood Hinge parts were virtually identical, I switched out my original '67 Hood Hinges along with the mating fender sub-mount supports (only because I had already visually restored an extra set of '66 parts I had and wanted to re-restore my '67 parts).  To my surprise, the hood fit & function was terrible... primarily at the rear of the hood. I'm fully aware of the ability for adjustment as the Buick manual addresses this subject, nonetheless, it was so bad I went back and installed my original '67 parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1