Dash lights malfunction......BODY CONTROL MODULE?

In my 89, during the intial diagnostic test when you get in the car, the dash panel lights light up behind the headlamp, parking lights, wiper controls, and other lighted areas. So, I know the lights are working and not burned out. However, when I turn on the headlights and/or parking lights, these panel lights do not come on. The dealer has told me the panel controls and switches are fine. The problem is coming from a "BODY CONTROL MODULE". Does this sound right and how is it replaced? Thanks for the help.

Stephen

The Body Control Module (BCM) is the last thing I would change. It is usually the dimmer slider on the left switch asm. I'm sure you have tried to move it and nothing happens. Trouble is...you must buy the entire assembly. Try to find one in the wrecking yard from a Riviera. If you feel lucky, some owners have opened the switch assembly and repaired them.

Do the panel lights work and the CRT dim when the fog lights are on? If so, the light switch on the dash is bad. This is a very common problem. I and a numbers of others have repaired the problem rather simply. Get some contact cleaner, I have used WD40, I have been taken to task for it, but hey, it works for me. With the small tube attachment that comes with the can, spray in between all the buttons on the light switch while pressing on and off each button. That did the trick for me. While I'm sure you checked this, I'm going to throw this out anyway. Have you checked the position of the dash dimmer switch just below the light switch? If the switch is very near the section that turns on the overhead lights, the dash lights will not dim. If panel lights and CRT don't dim with the fog lights, you may have a problem with the light sensor mounted in the top of the dash, however that item does not fail too often. Let us know what happens. I frankly doubt that the problem is in the BCM. Howard

i had the same problem and my lights would only come on

when i pressed the fog light switch. i pulled the light

switch on the left side of the dash and i had shorted wires

where they had rubbed togather, so i taped them off and took the

switch apart which is a simple job, cleaned up all of the contacts and

presto no more problems. now they all light including the lights on the console

My experience with WD-40 is that it is fine for a while but goes to gum farther down the road. For electrics I use Rat Shck tuner cleaner which is designed to penetrate from the front of a knob. Have committed heresy there myself and used it on sticking cassette players but certainly beats the alternative.

I have had a similar problem with my 89 for over a year and cannot figure it out. My console lights work fine, but the lights on the two switch pods work only intermittently. They blink on and off for no apparent reason. They stay off more than they stay on. When they light up it may be for seconds, minutes or much longer. Nothing I have tried seems to help. I have a new switch pod, and BCM. Good Luck.. If you find a solution, I would love to hear it. I am going to pull the swich one more time and look for some wear on the wire insulation, but if a wire is bare and shorting out, it seems like it would blow a fuse almost immediately.

Guest imported_barra

I had a similar problem with my '89. The switch on the left pod lights panel was bad and had to be replaced ( $178 from GM ) but the panel lights stayed off and the Buick garage found that the light sensor on the dash was the problem. They also replaced the BCM. It works now.

Is near the top of the dashon the door side of the steering colun - rectangular pink module about 1.5" on a side and 1" high. See previous postings. Is easy to reach from the top but requires removal of some delicate plastic. I chose to reach up from the bottom instead but arm came out looking like the middle of a cat fight.