1962 Skylark Convertible Rust

Ohjai

I have a 62 Skylark Convertible in my sights, but it has a bit of rust on the right side rocker panel.  Should this prevent me from purchasing this car?

Jim

1747979164_Underside3.jpg.9f9de7e8c7d8ff236fe5f36e09287615.jpg978743091_Underside1.jpg.f466b296b9582eaf78274d2f548f7dc1.jpg1694386274_Underrside5.jpg.594e2dc758097ab62d010449ca51449b.jpg

Under side 7.jpg

Edited by Ohjai (see edit history)

• Ohjai changed the title to 1962 Skylark Convertible Rust

That close up of the rusty surface is hard to figure out. The other pictures seem to show a solid car.  But the rust picture is so close I can't figure out just where it is on the car.

• Like 1

Thanks John.  I was told the hole is below the front part of the right hand door.  It looks like the hole is to the right of where the exhaust cross over pipes join the single pipe.

Jim

Ah...got it.  Based on what is shown I would continue to pursue that vehicle but I stop short of saying to buy it. I would investigate a bit further.  

Is it correct to assume you are looking at this car from a  remote perspective, basically just by pictures?   Or are you able to go and see it directly?  The area needs a bit more inspection. 

I would want to look at the area where the front subframe assembly attaches to the car body. I believe this is bolted on so I would want to make sure the structure is sound and stable at those points. 

I would also want to make a cursory glance to see if the interior on the passenger side showed water damage.  This is because of the following:

The vents where the windshield are is where the water can get in. In most cases there is another section of the cowl below those vents which is not that easy to get to. That lower section may be composed of pieces welded together. I would want to be sure the welds are not visibly rotted. 

The lower panel is usually curved towards the outside of the car and water should drain around the interior and down into the cavity behind the kick panels, where the vents are. From there there will be a drainage hole provided to eliminate the water. That area is where the problems arise. You cannot see it but those areas can get loaded with debris. Once that happens water may sit and then this situation appears.  In order to determine the potential extent of this problem I would want to check the matching area on the other side of the car. If no rust is starting there then this may just be a localized problem that wont be cheap to fix but may even be stable enough that it doesn't have to be rebuilt. 

A in-person inspection would be a high priority from my perspective or the price would have to be a killer deal that one could assume the risk. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind that there are no body parts available for these cars. From what I see, that is much better condition than most of these cars. The 61-63 are tough to find solid. From the other pictures it looks fairly solid outside the bad spot. I am in the the 62 Olds f-85 and Jetfire model and are very similar in these areas. 

• Like 1

Since this is a unibody and a convertible, will this cause me any long term structural damage or driving stability?  My old feeble mind is torn between the 62 Special/Skylark, a Reatta, or a 49-53 floating boat.  I already have to pre WWII Cadillacs, and am trying what I want next before I go toes up.

Jim

Not enough information available to give you an accurate long term prognosis.  Reattas are nice. Driveable and more fuel efficient. Some years may be better than others but you'll need to ask about that in the Reatta forum here.  But the 62 will be easier to get in and out of if that is any consideration for you.  The early 50's Buicks are very nice too.  This is a tough range within which to decide.

• Like 1

I bit the bullet!  Made a deal today.  Borrowed my Son's pickup, reserved a uHaul car carrier and will leave the St. Louis area tomorrow to pick car up in Kentucky.  Hopefully we will be back Wednesday afternoon.  I will post pictures when I get back.

Jim

• Like 3

On 6/15/2021 at 7:20 AM, Ohjai said:

I bit the bullet!  Made a deal today.  Borrowed my Son's pickup, reserved a uHaul car carrier and will leave the St. Louis area tomorrow to pick car up in Kentucky.  Hopefully we will be back Wednesday afternoon.  I will post pictures when I get back.

Jim

Hi Jim,

great news, welcome to the “Special World” for special owners. Hope you start up a thread in “Me and my Buick” as always interesting to read others stories. Love to see some pictures when you bring it home.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀