48 Chrysler one way gas tank valve??

R Walling

I am cleaning all the crud out of my 48 Chrysler New Yorker gas tank. I got the tank almost perfectly clean with a very strong sodium hydroxide cleaner, that even removes rust, with the use of a 1500 lb. pressure washer .

I tried to blow 110lb air into the outlet fitting (the one that feeds the fuel pump) to make sure that is clear.

I cant get any air thru it into the tank.

I am wondering if the fuel strainer in the tank has a one way valve in it, or if it is just clogged up?

The strainer is a round "cup" with possibly a screen on the bottom and is not removable. (It looks something like an oil pick up in an oil pan.

Any thoughts?

Roger

My best guess is the only way to clean it is chemically. I doubt 110lb air is a good idea, because it is probably that same fine brass screen that a fuel pickup "sock" is sometimes made from. It would not be able to support air flow like that even when good and might pop.

I am a believer in the screen idea. I add socks to cars than never had them. It takes a lot more crud to block one than it does to block the tip of the fuel pickup, and if the crud is heavy (iron, rocks) it may never even make it back up to the screen once it falls. I have also seen beads of water bouncing off of a sock in a bench test while the gas was flowing through it just fine.

I doubt there were ever one way "foot valves" in tanks, but I don't know for sure. Maybe @c49er would know something.

50 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Can you get liquid to flow out in the same direction as the gas would go?  

I am going to hook up an inline fuel pump tomorrow and see if I can draw water from the tank.

• Like 1

There is an "oilite" filter under the steel cover you can see in the tank.

The filters plug up and it's a 50/50 chance of getting  it to flow like new.

I have heard of people pushing a strong flexible steel rod supposedly breaking the filter apart then using a new external filter.

Good 20 gallon 8 cylinder tanks are near impossible to find.

A  new 17 gallon six cylinder tank with matching straps and fuel sender will fit right in place of the 8 tank if worse comes to worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, c49er said:

There is an "oilite" filter under the steel cover you can see in the tank.

The filters plug up and it's a 50/50 chance of getting  it to flow like new...

c49er, thanks for the info.

Last night while sleeping,(I do all my main thinking while sleeping, it saves time)

I decided that the filter is clogged up all the way through it, where even if I could break it up, the pieces could not be removed and might flow into the fuel pump.

So, I am going to drill a hole in the tank and solder in a new pick up tube.

I heard of bulkhead fittings that can be installed from one side but I can't seem to locate one.

Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Walling said:

c49er, thanks for the info.

Last night while sleeping,(I do all my main thinking while sleeping, it saves time)

I decided that the filter is clogged up all the way through it, where even if I could break it up, the pieces could not be removed and might flow into the fuel pump.

So, I am going to drill a hole in the tank and solder in a new pick up tube.

I heard of bulkhead fittings that can be installed from one side but I can't seem to locate one.

Roger

Ah, the magic of sleep.

While I slept my strong solution worked all night and dissolved all the crud in the filter.

I placed my 1500# pressure washer right into the fuel outlet fitting and blew all the crud out of the filter.

The tank in now clean as a whistle . (except for the top where the pressure washer wouldn't go)

I don't know if the water pressure destroyed the filter or not, but water flows freely out of the outlet fitting now.

Now onto the next problem in waking an old car from a 60 year sleep.

Roger

• Like 2