Value !! ??

ChrisWhewell

Hi Ya'll, I look and I find ..... good.. running... Reatta's being offered for sale in various places, but.... the asking price is WAAAYYYYY too low !    Why do I suggest this ?

1) Inflation.   Today's $4000 is the equivalent of about $2700 in terms of spending power, vs. not that long ago..... Been to the grocery store lately ?   The lumberyard ?   Romex prices ?    etc.

2) A good running and relatively reliable car, that is the prettiest car of its style ever built, should be worth no less than about $6000, no way, no how.

Don't short-sell your car !!

13 hours ago, ChrisWhewell said:

Hi Ya'll, I look and I find ..... good.. running... Reatta's being offered for sale in various places, but.... the asking price is WAAAYYYYY too low !    Why do I suggest this ?

1) Inflation.   Today's $4000 is the equivalent of about $2700 in terms of spending power, vs. not that long ago..... Been to the grocery store lately ?   The lumberyard ?   Romex prices ?    etc.

2) A good running and relatively reliable car, that is the prettiest car of its style ever built, should be worth no less than about $6000, no way, no how.

Don't short-sell your car !!

you have to ask a realistic price if you really want to sell it.i really need to proof read my posts.

Edited by handmedownreatta (see edit history)

I do not look for cars any more since I am out of the hobby, but I enjoy browsing what some of the more prolific posters find, 58Y, and 6T and other up on the AACA Buy / Sell.  I would think it is a volatile time, maybe for the next few years.  Father time always wins, and we thought the old car hobby was aging 10 years ago.  

Certainly Reattas have at least stabilized.  As Barney and some other wise young men have noted, the wheat has separated from the chaff.  There seem to be fewer and fewer beater Reattas, and there is a wider separation between what we (or maybe just me Y-Job) consider collectible mileage and condition and too long in the tooth.  

Sure there are still a few that drive their Reattas for everyday use but there seem to be fewer and fewer, and yearly mileage going down.   

My 88 Reatta will probably be in an estate sale (bought two decades ago, still under 100k miles) but the Crossfire, SLK, and CTS have made me appreciate a Whole Bunch more power. Last year when things tanked I scored two 89 Allantes running/driving/cold AC with hardtops and Florida titles for essentially money from the grocery store. Looks like there has been a bit of a rebound since.

Also have a spare center stack, Factory service and parts manuals, and a few other things. Focused on the 89 model year specifically because it has the 200 hp 4.5 and no air bags. A surprising number of things interchange with Reattas also (GM stock parts at time). Both also have full internal diagnostics capability.

ps after 2004ish Caddy finally got the Northstar right. Don't want a '93 no way no how. Besides only has 17 lb-ft more torque than the 4.5.

19 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I do not look for cars any more since I am out of the hobby, but I enjoy browsing what some of the more prolific posters find, 58Y, and 6T and other up on the AACA Buy / Sell.  I would think it is a volatile time, maybe for the next few years.  Father time always wins, and we thought the old car hobby was aging 10 years ago.  

Certainly Reattas have at least stabilized.  As Barney and some other wise young men have noted, the wheat has separated from the chaff.  There seem to be fewer and fewer beater Reattas, and there is a wider separation between what we (or maybe just me Y-Job) consider collectible mileage and condition and too long in the tooth.  

Sure there are still a few that drive their Reattas for everyday use but there seem to be fewer and fewer, and yearly mileage going down.  

Not sure if you are on the Reatta FB groups but I am not sure about the fewer and fewer being used every day,, of course the numbers are going down that's only natural as the car ages, but it amazes me how many young people are now picking them up and driving the snot out of them, modifying them, and abusing them. This uptik may very well be the death nail for number out there as they are really getting used.  An amazing number of women drive them daily still and alot of older folks are buying nicer example for weekend fun.  It's a totally different Reatta world in those groups 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

One major item is probability that the AC needs work. Figure $1k minimum. And then another few K if the transmission or engine has issues, and don't think about body or paint issues. "Nice drivers" are rare and only 88 & 89 had CRT.

In my '90 model..... what's a good windshield worth ?  About $1500 , IF you can find one ?   Then, the headlamp switch itself, a couple hundred.   Rims ?  The engine ?   I mean.... there's about $2500 in parts, easily.    As the "dollar" is kicked down its path to hyperinflation, the day may come when even a beater is worth $10k, because $10k is only worth what $5k used to be worth.

Scrap iron was a penny a pound when they made the '90, today scrap iron is eight cents per pound.    That means my Reatta is worth eight times its original scrap value, in terms of devalued Federal Reserve's "notes".   Spend it while you can, while it still has buying power !

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 10:07 AM, ChrisWhewell said:

In my '90 model..... what's a good windshield worth ?  About $1500 , IF you can find one ?   Then, the headlamp switch itself, a couple hundred.   Rims ?  The engine ?   I mean.... there's about $2500 in parts, easily.    As the "dollar" is kicked down its path to hyperinflation, the day may come when even a beater is worth $10k, because $10k is only worth what $5k used to be worth.

Scrap iron was a penny a pound when they made the '90, today scrap iron is eight cents per pound.    That means my Reatta is worth eight times its original scrap value, in terms of devalued Federal Reserve's "notes".   Spend it while you can, while it still has buying power !

the rims are worth very little.i have some you can buy cheap.the same engine is in millions of cars.

Edited by handmedownreatta (see edit history)