STEWART VAC TANK REPAIR

autoluke

Small crack has developed in the top cap .(pot metal).. of my Packard/Stewart tank at the fuel line inlet. Tried a generic sealer, but the crack along the threaded connection will not hold.

SUGGESTIONS  ?

New aluminum tops are available out of Australia. Well done and reasonable. About two weeks from order to delivery. I have six of them on my cars, and two spares on the shelf.

• Like 1

We have service repaired many of the spread and cracked tops (that are not warped) at the fuel inlet if the threads are fair with carefull grinding up the circumference,cutting a small groove or 2 around it and rap with stainless wire and twist snug..Then slather it around nice-nice with JB weld epoxy and smooth up as you like when cured.

Then install the brass fittings with a good sealer and only hand tight with an emphasis of connecting the fuel line as to not to lossen or push or pull or put strain on the fitting.

The repair last for years and years and years.

On extreme cases the large fuel inlet nut can be epoxied into the top with the small filter screen underneath removed first!

Paint it all fuel resistant black and no normal person will every notice it.

We did this one through the winter.

0506211739.jpg

Interesting side note, three years ago, driving a V-16 Caddy, I lost 8 going down the road. Turns out the tank top cracked. I replaced it, all was fine. Less than a month later, the other side failed. Fortunately I ordered two at one time..........that’s very consistent as far as failure goes!

I've had success with JB weld (a repair that has lasted several years) but the crack was out of one of the screw holes, not one of the threaded connector holes.  I think the stress of screwing in a fitting would be too much for JB Weld.