Help identifying straight 8

Justinlb

I picked up a spare engine the other day for $200 the guy claims its a 1940 248. He knows nothing about it.

I have a 1940 50 series already. There are some noticeable differences, the engine i picked up has smaller push rods, bigger oil filter, and a sediment collector on the carb.

The engine number has been grinded off (to protect the previous owners vin i guess)

Is there another way of telling what engine this is? Maybe its a 263, or not a 1940?

Screenshot_20210328-224934~2.png

Screenshot_20210328-224954~2.png

Screenshot_20210328-225014~3.png

263 engine would have side mounts, water pump inlet on left front side of engine, and left side of engine there are vertical ribs on cylinders, would also have a 4bolt mounted carb. Engine duz look like early 40s. Bell housing looks like a `41 248 engine i have. picture is a 263.1795007016_1952Buick263engine522019(2).thumb.JPG.c3db12de752bdfef99a11babd9bdc4e3.JPG

• Like 1

Intake looks late 40's. But manifolds are often changed.  But what is the manifold casting number. I

Sediment bowl is an after market add on.

Where is the dip stick? It moved to back in 1940

Casting number is not Buick part number in most cases

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

Intake looks late 40's. But manifolds are often changed.  But what is the manifold casting number. I

Sediment bowl is an after market add on.

Where is the dip stick? It moved to back in 1940

Casting number is not Buick part number in most cases

The oil dipstick is near the rear next to the starter. Ill post the casting number later, im not currently home.

Thanks for the help.

The number on the intake is 1330905-1

The number on the lower part of the engine near the oil pan is 1328767-9

I don't see a number anywhere near the water pump though.

It does appear to have a side mount if thats what the square with 4 bolts are; It has it on both sides.

Thank you guys for the help narrowing this engine down to what it is. 👍  Added pictures of the side of the engine and it also has a large oil cap, looks original.

IMG_20210329_090317_0.jpg

IMG_20210329_090239_9.jpg

Edited by Justinlb
Added photos (see edit history)

Buick had a RE project when REPLACEMENT engines were needed during shortages caused by WWII. No numbers were on the "stamp pad" becuz folks were supposed to transfer the number from engine being replaced to the blank pad. There were numbers stamped in the block elsewhere for Buick inventory tracking during the sale process. The #s are small and preceded by RE########, stamped in the block(on mine) back by the starter. Dont know if all are like that, but I have two. Some states registered with engine serial #s, so if #s werent transfered good luck registering on sale! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

One more, please.  The water pump and the front of the exhaust above the generator. Defiantly 1948 or later 248.

Ben

Water pump: 1336756-1D

I dont see one above the generator on the manifold but theres one on the opposite side 1313674-4

I did some researching, it does look a lot like a 1948 or 1949. 

My apologizes.  I was wanting a picture of the water pump with the front of the manifold.  1948-1949 probably correct.   IF the water pump discharges into the SIDE of the block just below the manifold it is a 1950, otherwise '48-'49. If you remove the water pump you should find the engine # stamped on a machined surface behind pump.  That will confirm year.

Ben

• Like 1