Antique car clock question

Terry Bond

I've casually collected nice antique automobile clocks for several years. I try to buy decent clocks that actually tick and seldom pay more than $150 or so for them.  There are always a few upgrades or duplicates that I'll take to Hershey.  Naturally, I'll occasionally scan evil-bay for them, and have even occasionally purchased damaged clocks to use for spare parts.  Just recently I came across these two - they are the most expensive car clocks I've ever seen, but both of them are common varieties.  One is a simple stem-wound Waltham for sale at $3,900.  (See item number 224397577488).

Image 1 - Vintage-Antique-8-days-Car-Automobile-Wind-Up-Stem-Dash-Clock-Waltham

-and the other is a common variety of angle-mounted dash clock that you can buy all day long at Hershey for a couple hundred bucks in nice working condition (more often for much less).  This one is an absolute "basket-case" yet is priced at  $674.10 (discounted from $749.00).

(See item number 324439411350)

Image 11 - ANTIQUE-BRASS-ERA-JUPITER-MOTOR-CAR-AUTOMOBILE-JUNIPER-8-DAY-CLOCK-MADE-USA

Anyone know something I don't about these clocks?  I'll probably have a few for sale again this fall, but at these prices, I'd be tempted to clean out my whole collection, sell them and buy a nice car (or two).

Perhaps this is just more evil-bay silliness on the part of the vendors.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Apparently you are correct - I see the Waltham is now more realistically priced at $39.00.   Guess the initial listing was simply a decimal point in the wrong place.  Thank goodness!   But-the other clock is still there.

Terry

42 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

are you by chance a NAWCC member?

No, never considered it actually.  My small collection of automobile clocks would be fairly insignificant among that group I'm sure.  There doesn't seem to be much about automobile clocks that I've seen just casually searching the website.

Terry

A while back I ponied up about $90 for a box lot of car clocks on evilBay because of the nearly perfect pot metal housings that fit my 31 Pierce. Most of the clock works here are identical but the housings differ. Once I get mine fixed (which is a very low priority) the rest will go back into circulation...

AF635674-A49F-4137-866C-25C54BA0BBCB.jpeg