POWER ANTENNA WIRING

cquisuila

hELLO

Do you know how to connect my new power antenna on my existing wiring power antenn system please ?

> I have 2 pins on my car , a pink and a black.

When i connect the pink wire to the 2 antenn wires and i push on switch lower , the anten goes up

when i connect the black wire to the same 2 antenn wires and i push on switch upper,   the anten goes up ALSO !

Can you help me please ?

I have joined a diagram.

Thank you very much  !

Philip

720811593_ANTENNEELEC.thumb.jpg.96f2925550d410af92f38d6938d7bee4.jpg

Each of the two wires is providing 12 volts to the antenna motor. Black to black and pink to pink. The antenna motor’s case is the ground.  12 volts goes into the switch under the dash. In one position, the switch sends 12 volts to the motor through one wire to raise the antenna; then in the other position, the switch send 12 volts to the motor through the other wire to lower the antenna. Make sure the motor is bolted tightly to the bracket and that the bracket has a good connection to the fender. Do not connect two wires to one wire as you described. 

OK THANK YOU for this answer !

But

i have 3 wires on my new power antenna

1 red +

1 blue for signal autoradio

and the ground

so HOW to connect ?

red to pink

blue to black

ground to ground

??

The original had only two wires; one to raise the antenna, one to lower it. It is grounded through the body of the motor.  Anytime you add something aftermarket, you have to rely on the instructions supplied and your own knowledge of auto electrical systems.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

here this diagram electric for power anten with 2 wires or 3 wires as the riviera

there are 2 relays

on the new power antenna (as you can buy on the internet) you just have to find the 2 wires that feed the motor of the new  power antenna  + and - and you don't use the wire of autoradio signal

I’ve got you now later  if the diagram is good ;)

1878267467_antenneelec.thumb.jpg.c9e449561a2911e383572f298e36b667.jpg

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Adding to Ed information......... on '60's-'70's GM power antenna.... the case/motor housing must have good ground. 

The connector will have two wires and the colors vary.    Easy test, use a jumper from the battery to the connector.

Touch one terminal of the connector and you will determine if that is the UP or DOWN wire. 

Same sort of test can be done on the wires coming from the dash antenna switch.   With a helper and a test light or meter,

have someone move the switch to UP and by probing the wires you can determine which wire is hot and would be the UP wire. 

In the post above.... that is a newer wiring arrangement.... probably because all the new stuff is plastic housing, it does no good to ground the motor housing, so they must put a ground wire in the system.     This one uses two relays to control the motor and rotation. 

GM Delco power antenna after 1980 used one relay and those can be adapted to be used in the 60-70 cars.   I am not home where

I can look at my technical information but if anyone is interested,  send me a note and I will get back to you when I am home. 

I have not seen a '60's GM power antenna with 3 wires in the US.

Can you post a good clear picture of the antenna.   I would like to see if I can identify the brand. 

I suspect you have a new Chinese made replacement antenna that is a universal replacement part. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Barney, I think that he's assuming that the ground indicator symbol represents a wire rather than indicating that the case is grounded by being bolted to a part of the chassis.

Cquisuila, there is no color identified for a third wire  nor is there any kind of connector illustrated. You have to assume that the illustration is showing the motor bolted to the chassis and that creates a ground.  

After looking at the wiring on the antenna you are trying to install, I think that the antenna is designed to be plugged into a radio that has built in antenna controls within the radio.   You turn the radio on, the antenna goes up. You turn the radio off, the antenna goes down. It is not designed to be operated with a manual switch.  One red wire to a 12 volt power supply. The yellow wire to the correct pin within the radio, and the black wire to a ground.  I don't think it will ever work properly wired into a manual switch without some auxiliary wiring.  I'd take it to a specialty radio installation shop if it were mine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

cquisuila     Yes  Rivnut---Ed is correct here, about  twenty years ago ,i purchase  a couple

of 1990s  Buick park avenue  antennas from a wreaker  in Sacramento,  still have them, nice working 

antennas ,but as Ed says that happened to me, only will work on modern radio with  through ignition

switch---,i tryed all  ways---but gave  up ,went to a auto electrician  he could not get it to work.

could get it to work  with manual  toggle switch, but the problem was  they would only go all the way up

or all the way down,---would not stop half way.-----On these  one orange wire to positive to go down.

and  both orange and pink together to go up.---black to ground.---yours will be the same-regards. 

P1090908.JPG

P1090907.JPG

1960 and '70 power antenna in GM cars should look similar to this.... metal motor housing about the size of a soup can. 

Around 1980 GM started using Delco Slimline power antenna that have a plastic housing and have 3 wires...  there will be a relay in the wiring somewhere, 

it might be under the dash, on the firewall or on rear mount cars it is on the mast.      I am also including the wiring diagram for the 3 wire system with the relay.  

DSCN0472.JPG

DSCN0557.JPG

w-relay.jpg

There was also an odd-ball antenna (Delco) used on some GM cars between 1977 - 79 (last picture) it has a cast gear housing, plastic cover and 

the motor is attached to the casting, not always parallel to the mast as shown in the picture.   These have a non-adjustable clutch, if the clutch is too loose 

there is now way to adjust it.  It may just slip and not raise or lower the antenna. 

77 Seville 2.jpg

• Like 2

Hello

I have the old broken  antenna with 2 wires in my riviera 1966

I am also in discussion with a person experimented in auto electricity and we think we can use the toggle switch of my buick with my new 3-wire antenna with 2 relays!

when the editing will be effective I will put the image of the editing on

it must be that :27651730_branchementantenne.jpg.603d3970b51f667d02400c8ed34a3378.jpg

Looks like you are over thinking the schematic

Using the GM antenna relay, a single ON/OFF switch should work. 

Run a hot at all time wire with fuse to position "4" of the relay.   That will lower the antenna when no power is going to terminal "6"

From the switch run a wire to position "6" of the relay...that picks the relay which reverses the polarity and the antenna will go UP....  If you are using a Delco Slimline antenna, the motor will automatically stop when the mast is fully extended and open the connection...no current is drawn.   When you turn the switch OFF the relay is no longer picked the polarity is reversed and the antenna will go DOWN.

NOTE  the wiring information that was on this post earlier was incorrect and I changed it to the above.

Not just any relay will work.....it needs to be one that was used by GM on the 3 wire antenna.   I have a pile of them,  free you just pay shipping.

Also I did some modeling on a late GM style antenna so it could be used on the 63-65 Riviera and use the original fender mount

chrome hardware.   I stopped because there did not seem to be any interest.

hello

thank you for your complet answer !

the figure 9-5  shows a diagram with an autoradio connecting

this schema is valid for an OLD antenna or reverse the polarity for the descent
It is nothing to do with a modern antenna 3 wires (1+, 1-, 1 from the signal autoradio ) that works by maintaining a positive voltage on the green wire mounted and voltage breaking on the green wire down
it a friend who told this
in my buick 1966 , the 2 wires black and white come from the touch switch as the picture and not from the autoradioswitch antenna.jpg

My post on Tuesday is INCORRECT......

I corrected/changed the info in that post.... please reread the Tuesday post. 

I am not home where I can get into my reference material and post a sketch of my wiring idea 

• 4 weeks later...

FOR YOUR INFORMATION > here the electric diagram which is efficient perfect with our original switch in riviera 1966 if you remplace the original antenna by a modern antenna with the 3 wires (+12v, negative and 1 feeding wire (often green wire))

you JUST have to buy 2 relays

i put in my car !!!;)

schema branchemùent antenne.jpg

• 1 year later...

Try using a latching relay to feed power to the blue wire on the aftermarket antenna. Red wire goes to a fused constant +12v supply. Black to ground. The blue wire receives +12v from modern radios when they are turned on and 0v when they are turned off. Use the latching relay to provide 12v to the blue wire. Wire the console switch to activate the 'on' latch on the relay when pressed 'up' and de-activate the latch when pressed 'down'. In the diagram below for the referenced latching relay (available on Amazon), wire the console switch 'up' to 'set' on the relay, and 'down' to 'rst'. Note that this relay requires ground to the 'set' and 'rst' inputs, so the console switch positive will need to be cut and wired to ground. Use the normally open relay to feed +12v to the blue wire on the antenna.

DPST 1NO 1NC 8Amp Latching Relay Module (DC 12V): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

image.png.ddb9aa9160dc19e47bc47d1a89e63fce.png

Edited by RodA67Riv (see edit history)

If you were to use a 1980-2005 Delco Slimline antenna on your early car,  I believe it can be done with one relay. 

The Slimline was used on all GM cars and they are fairly plentiful.   Just find one with a good mast.   The attached picture is a Slimline. 

The schematic is for the Slimline which is a 3 wire unit but the ground  moves for UP and DOWN. 

You would need a on/off switch or as mentioned a latching relay if you use the factory UP/DOWN switch. 

The on/off switch would be attached to the #6 terminal in the picture and the antenna would stay up until 

you turned off the switch and the antenna would retract. 

I have played with modifying a Slimline so that the original fender trim would be used .   The other advantage of going to 

a newer antenna design,  is the mast will fully retract into the fender eliminating the chance of damage to the mast that is a problem 

on the 63- 65 cars 

Another advantage to going to a newer design is reliability...   especilally if you Buick has one of the odd-ball designs used in the late '70's

The first "new" design was the Tenna semi-automatic... it must be timed correctly and if any of the contacts are damaged, parts are hard to find. 

The new Delco of the late '70's was not much better than the Tenna because it was short lived parts are also hard to find if they are damaged. 

I am attaching photos of those late '70's antenna so you can tell what you have. 

88-90 2.jpg

w-relay.jpg

DSCN1350.JPG

DSCN1353.JPG

GM HISTORY.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2021 at 12:30 PM, cquisuila said:

FOR YOUR INFORMATION > here the electric diagram which is efficient perfect with our original switch in riviera 1966 if you remplace the original antenna by a modern antenna with the 3 wires (+12v, negative and 1 feeding wire (often green wire))

you JUST have to buy 2 relays

i put in my car !!!;)

On 3/30/2021 at 2:46 AM, cquisuila said:

ANTENNE achetee.jpg

I hate being late to the party but......

If any one has this problem this is one way to do it. This will work if you are using the type of antenna you have. Hold button down. Uses Diode, no need for relays. 

I have two other ways to do this as well.

Hold button down. Uses 2 relays, no diode.

or

Latching (single press). Uses 3 relays.

Diagrams available upon request.

Google Drive will be prompt to ask for access. Leave message to where you are requesting from. (aka Forum, site, thread) Please leave link. No Link no access. No "Editor" access will be given. If changes to diagram need to be made I can easily change it there. You can also comment there too if you need to ask what is the "doohickey" next to the "thingamajig".

Edited by mouthpear (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 4:15 AM, cquisuila said:

HELLO

thank you for this diagram !!🙂

my questions ON THE PICTURE :

Yes that is a diode. Any diode like the common like the 1N4007 will do. or 20amp Diode I like to use these schottky diodes. They have nice thick leads, easy to solder or crimp connectors onto.

Original circuit, Yes. The black and white line correspond to the black and white wires.

image.jpeg.a30af0ce48158ec6e912d9e101a00eab.jpeg

Edited by mouthpear (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, cquisuila said:

super !

in fact it is very simply !!

bravo !👁️‍🗨️👁️‍🗨️

i will try !!

If you would rather use relays I left a link to where to find them. Link is in my original post.

TY and good luck.

• Like 1