37 Buick coupe door handle help/parts

Good morning gentlemen,

I have a friend with a seized lock cylinder in his driver's side door handle and he needs a front bumper bracket, and 2 running board mounting brackets.  So far I've given him Dave Tachney's contact information.  I'm guessing somebody has been through the seized lock cylinder rodeo before.  

Thanks Leif                                                            

Sounds like the insides are corroded/froze up. Take your thumb and push on the key hole, there should be some in and spring back movement, if no movement it is froze up inside. I have cut the shaft(with thin dremmel cut off wheel)) on each side of the shaft where the little slug is, remove the little lock shaft pin, then use a press to push the guts out, be careful and don`t damage the little nubbie on the end of the inner shaft, its off center, i use a solid steel dowel approx 3/16"dia and grind a groove on the side to clear the nubbie and press it out, then weld the shaft back together, grind the weld flush to shaft size, re-bore the slug hole, slug size, clean all the guts up and reassemble lubing everything. Good luck..

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

Wouldn't a good soaking in a rust busting product work?  And that would be safe for the chrome finish, if it's good enough to use as is and not in need of rechroming.  And something safe for pot metal, ....not that the solution continues to eat away at the unoxidized pot metal.

If there is a key that fits put it in and start wiggling,  be patient.  Small steps.  

Or like suggested, contact Dave.  Try Ann's Buick Parts in Florida.  EBay.

Bob's Automobilia has non locking door handles for 37.   They have a listing for a locking handle for high series 1938-40 and low series 39's, no "guts" in these repro's(sorry that doesn't help and if they fit 37 the listing description would state it).

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

Thanks guys great suggestions, The lock button in the trunk handle would depress and we were able to remove the lock cylinder. Unfortunately the door handle is another story.The cylinder assembly will not budge and so far soaking hasn't worked. Has anybody had any experience with Coca-Cola? I know some of the Lincoln K series guys will use Coke on head bolt studs to dissolve the aluminum electrolysis between the aluminum head and steel head studs. Apparently the citric acid in Coke will break down corrosion over time without damaging valuable parts.  

Thanks Leif

In this post I was getting the door goodies ready for installation and the handle was part of the discussion.  I don't know if it will offer any new ideas for you.

I have had good luck with Evapo-Rust from Harbor Freight. Soak overnight and dry afterwards. Immediately lube everything. My door latches have a brass piece that the door handle slides into and when I ordered a used one from a wrecking yard they cut the handle off with a torch. The brass latch was turned to junk and that is pressed into place.