Help-Rear Quarter Window Leading Edge Chrome Removal And Reinstall

Riviera63

I am looking to replace the leading edge chrome piece on my driver's side rear quarter window. I am looking for some guidance for its removal and the reinstallation. My initial thought for removal was to use a block of wood and gently tap with a rubber mallet to pop it off. For reinstall I would use the block and mallet to gently tap the new one back into place. Is there any adhesive used to hold it on the window edge or is it held by friction? The replacement has the rubber liner that goes against the window edge intact. Is any adhesive used to hold the new weatherstrip seal in place? I was thinking of using black weatherstrip adhesive. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, gungeey said:

The stainless strip on the outside of the window?
Theres screws in the fuzzies you have to remove

it doesnt bang off

Or are you talking about the thin strip thats on the upholstery panel in the car?

Neither, this is the vertical chrome strip that is attached to the vertical leading edge of the rear quarter window that has a weatherstrip seal that meets the rear vertical edge of the front window. I am not talking about the exterior beltline chrome nor the interior rear quarter panel chrome that the horizontal weatherstrip fuzzies attach to.

Bill

That’s a press fit with maybe a little adhesive if it’s been off before.  The glass is pressed into a rubber seal into the channel in the chrome strip.  Just don’t pry on the glass with anything metal.  Lots of questions have been posed about 1) Where can I find this strip, mine fell off and 2) my strip fell off, how do I reattach it?

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

That’s a press fit with maybe a little adhesive if it’s been off before.  The glass is pressed into a rubber seal into the channel in the chrome strip.  Just don’t pry on the glass with anything metal.  Lots of questions have been posed about 1) Where can I find this strip, mine fell off and 2) my strip fell off, how do I reattach it?

I just completed this replacement about a month ago and my words of warning are to take RivNut's words to heart.  "THIS IS DEFINITELY A PRESS FIT".  I attempted to gently tap the chrome trim back onto the window and succeeded only in shattering my window.  Luckily for me I have a local source for parts so a new window wasn't far away but I wouldn't recommend tapping on anything.

DON"T USE THE RUBBER STRIP LIKE THE   FACTORY DID!  Leave the rubber strip off and just put some 3M black weatherstrip cement in the bottom of the  channel and slap it on the glass and let it sit 24 hours.. Easy Peasy

and you won't break the glass. All my old cars have been done this way it looks great and no muss no fuss.

49 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

DON"T USE THE RUBBER STRIP LIKE THE   FACTORY DID!  Leave the rubber strip off and just put some 3M black weatherstrip cement in the bottom of the  channel and slap it on the glass and let it sit 24 hours.. Easy Peasy

and you won't break the glass. All my old cars have been done this way it looks great and no muss no fuss.

Thanks Winston. My replacement has the rubber strip intact. I will remove it and go the black weatherstrip adhesive route. Is the wood block with rubber mallet for removal a good technique or is there another method you could recommend?

Bill

P.S. My tires arrived last week. I am anxious for spring to come so that I can get the car out of hibernation and get them put on. Looking forward to see how they perform.

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the old weatherstrip and chrome piece using nonmarring scrapers that I had purchased at Harbor Freight. These worked very well as they have a thin edge that you can get underneath the lip of the trim piece so that you can tap it off. I followed Winston's advice. I removed the rubber press fit liner and used black weatherstrip adhesive to reattach. I held it in place with masking tape and waited 24 hours. An easy fix. Now, I just need for the weather to warm up so that I can attach the new rubber weatherstrip. I originally had purchased the weatherstrip from CARS, Inc. I decided not to use them as they may work but, are similar but, not the same as the originals in design. I did not want to have mismatched weatherstrip on my car. I ordered a set from Steele Rubber. These are the same design as the originals. 

Bill

IMG_6838.JPG

IMG_6830.JPG

IMG_6831.JPG