who is the best source for info about 1927/28 STuTZ speedster

j m davis phd

4 hours ago, j m davis phd said:

looking to chat and learn about the 1927/28 STuTZ 2 passenger speedster, any and all info is greatly appreciated 

The book, The Splendid Stutz will tell you a great deal about the cars. It is for sale through the Club and is well worth the price.

The  1927/'28 2 passenger speedster description  sort-of covers a few different  body types. Some people call the Boattail Speedster just a 'speedster', whereas the catalogue refers to other body types as a 'speedster'. All were built on the short 131 inch chassis, if memory serves me. The chassis length changed in 1929 to 134.5 inches, which did not fit the older bodies.

Good luck.

• Like 1

thank you all, at this point, I am trying to learn as much as I can, I find so much of the info is not very clear and looking for that one guy or guys that seem to know the speedsters inside and out.

STuTZ did lots of interesting things in constructing cars, like the windshield/cowl used on the speedster, what else was it used on?

27 body vs 28 body, tails lights? step plates? and I could go on for awhile asking questions

good reproduction makes it hard to tell the difference between the original, what are some of things to look at

do have the Splendid STuTZ and have more questions than not from reading it

are all speedsters Blackhawks or ?

sorry for the dumb questions, usually I am pretty good at car history but this one has me a little confused, really looking to learn what is correct and what is not!

thank you 

Edited by j m davis phd (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In my old age I can't remember where I saw the ad for the 2 reproduction speedsters.   Sometime in the last month.

The chances of finding one real car is tiny,  the chances of finding two together is zero. 

When you go to look,  if you see new metal and new wood then you know you have a new body, at least in the tail.

• Like 2

And Mark (smile) is correct.   The "speedster" moniker could have been a number of different body styles but these days it typically refers to the boat tail cars.

For example,  this was sold by RM last year and it is a "four passenger speedster",  even though it looks a lot like a 4 passenger phaeton to me.

1928StutzFourPassengerSpeedster.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

good afternoon, I know I am reaching back aways and hoping,

In the mid to late 70's Dr, Davis of Wilsonville, Oregon had a 1928 STuTz Blackhawk speedster, it was sold and would like to see if anyone knows of this car, yes, I know it is a long shot, any and all info would be appreciated very much...

and no, I am not related to him, yes, I did know him, thank you  

I was not aware that Dr. Davis had a 1928 Black Hawk. I do know he did own a 1929 Blackhawk speedster (roadster) and a 1929 Blackhawk parts sedan, both were 6 cylinder cars.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
50 minutes ago, j m davis phd said:

serial number 87638 C, what does the C represent/mean? should be a 1928 BB engine number, the C is what I am asking about, thank you in advance...

Yes, that is a BB engine number.  Is there a H next to the C?  That would designate the 6-1 high compression ratio.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you are looking to check detail of a Stutz Black Hawk Speedster that is original.     Mr A K Miller had two that were in his eatate sale some years ago, and the one which Harrahs had was reputed to have been one of the factory racing cars.  I made a complete new carb for the man who owned it in the Mid-West some years ago; and I also made another for the Collier collection car.  The people who might really know originals from replicas might include George Holman , Ernie Toth, Fred Hoch, and Stan Francis of Golden Restorations (in Colorado, I think.  He would be very reliable if he is still about, because John Jordan met some of our Stutz Owners Register when he visited Australia.   My friends told me that Mr Jordan owned one of about five clones that Mr Francis made as faithful replicas of the car which had been in the Harrah Collection,  so you might expect those to be very good guide to what was original.

Each engine usually has a cast number on the top centre of the left side of the engine block casting which tells in a simple code the date when it was cast.  The AA engine block I have is numbered   9176.   The date which that represents is the 17th day of September 1926.  Another incomplete engine which Paul Freehill sold me when I visited him in 1984.  Paul said that nobody was much interested "because the numbers were puzzling".   The casting date was the 27th of June 1928, for anyone who understood the code.   The engine number is DV30004.   There are at least several 1928 engines which still exist with "9"-prefix engine numbers, with casting dates later than this engine.  The explanation is in the chapter on Stutz in John Bentley's book "Great American Automobiles".  In reference to the introduction when the DV32 was released, the company announced that a number of sample cars had been extensively tested for great distances on the Speedway, and on the deserts and mountains of southern United States.  That time frame fits for the Manufacturing date of my engine.  I would argue that the remaining five Stutz steel connecting rods, which went to Ernie Toth to make a set of 8 with what he had; and the much stronger main bearing caps, probably indicate the influence of Frank Lockhart to increase the reliability to make the engines un-burstable.  A few years ago, Geoff Ringrose4 heard a noise in his engine on a club run in Sydney, and had the car taken home on a tilt-tray.  The centre main bearing cap was broken front to back,  and engineers have told us that torsional vibration can cause that to happen. Maybe this is the design fault that caused the Stutz engine to fail in the match race with the Hispano Suiza at Indianapolis.  The imortance of history is the reasons things happen.

• Like 2

I only asked John Ryder a week ago if he could give me an email address for you.   I had noticed in the last Stutz Club roster book ( which I have, )  your address showed as Roanoke.  I thought it might interest and amuse you that we have very old Ancestral connection with that place. Sir Richard Grenville was a direct ancestor. I can send photos that will interest you easily by email;  whereas  I have no idea how to share these through the forum.      Regards,  Ivan.

• Like 1

thank you everyone for the help, have talked to a couple of the guys and they have been most helpful, I did buy a 1928 stutz original car, still has the original cowl and doors, the back half of the body is not correct for the car, the rear body was made sometime in the late 50's/60's in the style of early 20's bearcat, bought it from a gentleman who is in his mid 90's and has owned the car since the early 50's, and from what I have learned, he was not a club joiner, a loner, he lived up in NW Washington near the Canada border, car is still drivable. he says he got the stutz without the rear body on it and built and or refitted the bearcat body on it, his memory isn't to sharp these days.

I would like to find a original (no reproduction please) 1928 stutz windshield and posts, as the windshield has been replaced with brookland style windscreen, been talking with one gentleman, he is not sure he wants to sell his extra windshield and posts

I would like to find one sooner than later, as I dont want to make this a 10 year project, have cash and willing to pay good money for one,

I did buy one of Mr Francis bodies, with the plan to use the back section to replace the bearcat like back body, I do have all the original fenders, at this point the windshield is key part to making this all come together and restored in my lifetime.

thank you thank you thank you 

• Like 1

Congratulations on your purchase!

You will need a bit of luck to find a better deal with respect to the windscreen frame.

When I bought my '29 car it came with some paperwork, including a September 1973 letter from the then- Stutz Club Historian. In it he discussed how Stutz windscreen frames rot out. The originals have not improved in the 50 odd years since the note was written. 

Windscreen problems 1973.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:34 PM, Smile said:

Congratulations on your purchase!

You will need a bit of luck to find a better deal with respect to the windscreen frame.

When I bought my '29 car it came with some paperwork, including a September 1973 letter from the then- Stutz Club Historian. In it he discussed how Stutz windscreen frames rot out. The originals have not improved in the 50 odd years since the note was written. 

Windscreen problems 1973.jpg

totally understand the issues of rust and windshield frames, I can make a new one if needed and or blend an old one with new sections, yup you are right about needing the luck, lots of it, finding the windshield posts and frame, pretty much not going to argue about price, buying it is the goal, willing to pay good money.

does anyone have a windshield assy they are willing to sell and or know of a lead?

really dont want to turn this into a 10 year quest...  

thank you