1942 buick special 48S with plastc interior door handles and window regulators

1922bigsix

I bought a well preserved 1942 buick in the fall of 2020 from the second owner. It is a 118” wheel base special 2 dr sedanet. I was surprised to find it had plastic interior door handles, window and vent window cranks (see attached picture). It also has the same trunk bezel as my 1941 buick special 2dr sedanet (121” wheel base) except the upper part on the ‘42 bezel is black and chrome plated on the ‘41. I’m curious if others have a ‘42 buick with any of these features.

F4E66DD9-427C-4802-945E-811B7B914C6C.jpeg

5C3311E0-9997-417C-B280-7E80E6FC387B.jpeg

• Like 1

I would say you got an unexpected bonus -- a blackout model made the last couple of months before production stopped entirely for the war effort. As chrome and other metals became scarce the government limited what was available, and manufacturers had to substitute plastic and other materials (I've even seen reports of wood bumpers on some of the last few 1942 cars). People have been known to  paint over the chrome on earlier 1942 autos to make them look like blackout models. It looks yours is genuine.

A search on this AACA forum will turn up a number of threads on 1942 blackout cars.

Don