Almost done with 1938 Chevy master

Mpgp1999

I am just about done with this 1938 Chevy. The next step is to start it and test drive it. There are no keys. It looks like the original ignition switch. I can’t see any numbers. If there were any they were scratched off. Does anyone know how to jump it and where I can get a replacement ignition switch with keys   

Mpgp1999, I do not know if the 1938 is the same, but on a 1934, the four-digit key code for the door lock and the ignition key is stamped on the door handle's shaft.  Check the door handle to see if it has the code, and if it does, contact one of the lock smiths that advertises in the vintage auto magazines to see if they can cut a key for your lock.

Does this have only one small wire connected to the coil and an armored cable going to the key switch?

If so, the whole point is to prevent you from jumping it. Here's how you jump it. Get another 6 volt ignition coil off some other car (or from NAPA) that has 2 terminals. Any modern one will, as the one for the armored cable setup is no longer made. Bolt it to the engine close to the other coil. Hook the small distributor wire to the (-) terminal on the coil. Plug the coil wire in the top, and run 6 volts to the (+) terminal. Best to rig yourself up a temporary switch for the 6 volts so you can shut the engine off.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)