1940 Buick Front Stabilizer Bushings

kingrudy

I am looking to replace the front stabilizer bushings on my car. They have not gone to junk at this time, but I figure that I would take care of the little things during the winter. Having searched Bob's Automobilia, CARS, Metro Moulding, Steele Rubber, Rubber the Right Way my fingers are almost raw. I even checked the Buick parts manual and did not notice any numbers assigned to this. It has been suggested that I might have to look for a pair of bushings the have the correct inside diameter and modify them a bit. It has been a bit cold, or I would have slid under the car a measured the stabilizer bar to get a start there. 

Bob's lists bushings for a 37 or 38 but no 40. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Looks like what Mike said -- they have bushings for 37-38 and 41-47, but no 40.  I considered replacing the bushings on my 41 when I did the stabilizer links, but I didn't want to mess with it because you have to cut the brackets holding the stabilizer bar to the frame and then reweld them.  The bushings on my car were still in reasonable shape, so I did the links and left it at that.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. You hit the nail on the head Neil, no frame to bar bushings  for 1940. I spoke to 2CARB and he suggested that I find another set of bushings with the correct inside diameter and modify the outside. I'm sure someone has been down this road. I might make a call to Doug Seybold and get his input. I have been told that this does make a big difference in the handling of the car. 

• Like 1

I just checked my spare parts to see what all you were talking about.  Indeed, there are no reproduction bushings made for the torsion bar to frame.  When examining the torsion bar that has been removed from my car, the rubber bushing is pressed into the frame mounting bracket, installed/pressed onto the torsion bar, then the torsion bar is bent to final form.  Checking the parts book, I see that the bar with bushings is sold as one part number.  Replacing the bushing calls for a little ingenuity like discretely cutting the torsion bar bracket, then inserting new bushings that can be squeezed in place when mounting the torsion bar back onto the frame.  I've not attempted this yet so it is just an idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im guessing Buick assembled this bar by putting the rubber bushings on the bar, next wrapping the stamped bracket around the bushing then welding the two brackets to the frame. If I replace them on my 40s I plan on grinding the welds off the frame and using a wire feed welder to put em back on cuz one can do it with so little heat the rubber bushings wont be damaged. Just a SWAG, of course! And since no bigger diameter bar is available that bolts in, I'd like some duralume(sp) bushings for the vertical links and maybe bar bushings also to stiffen up the suspension and not have to grease them like urethane, which squeaks if left dry. Just quoting chapter and verse. No personal experience yet. Like Johnny Five Alive said in the movie Short Circuit "I want Innputt!"

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ken and Greg for the input. I did notice the part number in the GM Parts Book, but it did not occur to me that this is one piece (bracket and bushing). The bushing is not completely shot, I was trying to be proactive to avoid problems down the road. Thanks for the suggestions.

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2020 at 8:52 AM, neil morse said:

Looks like what Mike said -- they have bushings for 37-38 and 41-47, but no 40.  I considered replacing the bushings on my 41 when I did the stabilizer links, but I didn't want to mess with it because you have to cut the brackets holding the stabilizer bar to the frame and then reweld them.  The bushings on my car were still in reasonable shape, so I did the links and left it at that.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:12 AM, kingrudy said:

Thanks Ken and Greg for the input. I did notice the part number in the GM Parts Book, but it did not occur to me that this is one piece (bracket and bushing). The bushing is not completely shot, I was trying to be proactive to avoid problems down the road. Thanks for the suggestions.

Neil,  I was rattling around and came across your note re bushings. They are what I had Pete replace. You can cut them, wrap them around the bar, glue them up and then install. Steele has an adhesive for gluing rubber to rubber. Thanks for the good time on Sunday.  Thom

• Like 1