Is there any sources for 1931 Imperial parts?

Narve N

Having followed this Forum for several years I notice there is not much discussion or mentioning of the CCCA Chrysler Imperials that probably were the first Mopars to be recognized by enthusiasts. The lack of sources for information and parts is also overwhelming, if you google these cars the only feed you get is a countless stream of cars being advertised throughout the years.

My quest at current is to find pistons in +0,030" or 0,040 for an August 1930 Imperial CG engine (3,53 or 3,54" diameter with three piston rings). Is there any source besides Egge (12 weeks wait and $1750 thank you)? Engine in question survived as power-source for a local sawmill including a Buick radiator and a clever spring/weight loaded connection between the generator and throttle to even out the RPM. I am also looking for more restoration parts like doorhandles and lights and have some stuff to offer in return. Like a Stromberg DD-3 carb.

511620824_1CT-S170804CG-IImotorhosMatsLarssonVnersborg(1).thumb.jpg.8a093ecdaba71c7bee8bf3ca0508d408.jpg

Pistons are no problem, that said, I would not try and source anything until you have the engine apart. The pistons can be easily ordered, with rings and pins for about 150 dollars each. They will be custom made. There are several companies that make them, and I recommend sending a sample, NOT a drawing. A 'cheap" rebuild of that engine here would run 15 thousand dollars.......and more for a "show car" (35 to 50) or more if you have other issues. Things like valves, springs, guides, usually have to be made. Simply put, its not an easy engine to rebuild today. Since you are using it as a power source, maybe just a light overhaul would work........new rings, valve job, ect.............what are your plans for it? I know most of the early Chrysler 8 guys......... Ed

By the way, DO NOT use the company you mentioned. Nothing but junk and problems. They no longer make pistons in house, the order them from someone else last information that was posted here on this site.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I would also have stripped block checked thoroughly for cracks (magnafluxed), especially if it has been in a colder climate at any point. I bought 2 so-called good 1931 MOPAR 8 cyl blocks (a Chrysler CD8 Deluxe 3.25" pistons and a Dodge DG8/Chrysler CD8 with 3" pistons)  and at start of a rebuild, both had serious hairline cracks, mainly in the internal valve train area, virtually impossible area to repair. The cooling channels on these is complex, and difficult to drain in freezing weather areas, and it does not take much of a freeze up to crack them. I wound up throwing both blocks away, along with the $2000 I paid for them! Just a word of caution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

The pistons can be easily ordered, with rings and pins for about 150 dollars each. They will be custom made. There are several companies that make them, and I recommend sending a sample, NOT a drawing.

Any company names to check with? I have the engine apart and it will need to be bored 0.030 over - or more if a vendor would have +0.040 in stock etc. Guess a sample can be sent across the Atlantic if a drawing or specification is not good enough.

Intention is to run the engine in a Special or Race Car replica harking back to the 33/35 Argentinian car that raced on Indy with various drivers. Anyone got a quartet of Winfield downdrafts laying around?

1655674214_4motorL838532ChryRiganti-YeagermedWinfieldmodelSogmagnet.jpg.b5938667b419351485c8e9b6a5839dde.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Narve, 

Firstly best wishes for 2021.

Got my pistons for the 1929 65 from the UK. Made in australia but not that expensive. You can find the JP pistons on their site. Paid 150 australian dollar per piece. Very helpful people.

t: +441952 252892
e: pjackson@fwthornton.co.uk
f: +44 1952 246082
www.fwthornton.co.uk
www.vintagemotorcyclepistons.co.uk

My car is going fine, chassis is now almost ready. Next is the body.

Regards Chris