1948 Chrysler Windsor throttle linkage/spring location

dalef62

I am working on a customer's 1948 Chrysler Windsor, putting the engine and transmission in and I got new motor mounts for it.  The problem I am having is the large metal washer that was on the original upper mount will not fit in the new rubber mount?  Does it not go on the new mount or do I need to trim the mount?  As you can see in the pictures it is the same diameter on the outside of the rubber as the outside of the metal washer...

I have a shop manual coming for it but if anyone has some detailed pictures of the engine compartment it would be appreciated as I have no idea where some parts and wires go!

PXL_20201118_162018180.jpg

PXL_20201118_162038424.jpg

PXL_20201117_202925584.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

The replacement rubber you get may or may not be the exact size as your original. The important thing to know is the basic design principle of that Chrysler engine mount. The engine should just rest on the upper rubber mount by it's own weight, not be bolted tightly to the frame. The lower rubber mount should be held by the bolt, spacer, and washer so that there is a slight bit of clearance between it and the frame. The length of the spacer and/or washers may have to be adjusted to accomplish this. So the engine rests on rubber by gravity...its not bolted to the frame. The lower rubber mount prevents the engine from flying off the upper mount under torque or a bump. It's all a matter of the spacer being the correct length to prevent the two rubber mounts from being tightly bolted.

Tightly sandwiching the frame between the upper and lower mounts with the engine bolted to the sandwich negates most of the mount's intended vibration isolating qualities. The design depends on the engine being able to bounce up and down a tiny bit. Bolt it down, and the engine will make the whole vehicle shake.

Understanding the above should help you navigate the problems you may encounter obtaining exact replacement parts. I'm a little concerned that I don't see the spacer tube in your photo, as that's the most important part. It may have been discarded at some point, as with the motor in place, it can be difficult to remove without damaging it. If it's missing you can use a piece of steel tubing with an appropriate inside and outside diameter, cut to  the the exact length needed. It doesn't even have to be welded to the steel washer. Just get the length right so you can tighten the bolt without pulling the two rubber mounts completely together.  

44 minutes ago, dalef62 said:

Thanks for all the information.  I do have the spacer so all should be well.

Dale,

That's good news. Don't assume, however, that the spacer is the right length. It may have to be shorter or longer to accomplish the objective, or you may be able to achieve the necessary condition by adding washers. As long as you understand the principle, you'll be fine.

Good luck !

• Like 1

Make sure the replacement new mounts are fairly soft rubber....fingernail should easily push into the rubber.

Old hard rubber mounts or even new replacement mounts sometimes are so hard the engine transmits vibrations to the passenger compartment.

The "T" tube and large diameter washer assembly are a welded one piece unit.

This "T" tube and washer unit pushes down into the new motor mount before you install the rear donut mount into the cross member.... the tube portion is the spacer that won't let you over tighten the large rear mount bolt and nut.

Sometimes it's very difficult to raise the engine enough to slip the assembled rear mounts into the cross member and under the corner of the bell housing. The car body has possibly dropped down a small amount.

T- tube spacers and washer, different Chrysler and  plymouth rear mounts.... different heights of tubes...

Tubes are welded to the large washer.

Motor Mounts Chrysler and Plymouth.JPG

Motor Mounts Chrysler and Plymouth (4).JPG

Motor Mounts Chrysler and Plymouth (5).JPG

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

PXL_20201210_181737783.thumb.jpg.5be4723f601a6bef0997aa86bef485b8.jpgNow I am working on getting the engine and transmission in and looking at all the shift levers and brackets and I think I am missing some.  Can someone show me the linkage for the shifter?  I have the shop manual but the pictures are terrible!  Reprint...    Am I missing something on the end of the linkage that is in the picture below that would mount to the bell housing?  

What is the metal plate with two holes and a few notches in it, the clean piece on the table???

I wish I would have bought a parts manual...

PXL_20201210_181653340.jpg

PXL_20201210_181658047.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

• dalef62 changed the title to 1948 Chrysler Windsor shift linkage and brackets

Regarding the spacers on the motor mounts, as another poster pointed out, they were dropped into the rubber cushions from above...not easy to do if the engine is in place. You'd have to lift the engine 3". Better to separate the washers from the tube and install it piecemeal. Mine were press fit and swaged. Some are apparently welded. Either way, you just want the tube to prevent over-tightening the bolt. The original design allowed a bit of clearance so that the lower rubber wasn't even snug. That's what helps the mount absorb vibration. Installed correctly, the engine is free to hop up and down on the upper cushion just a tiny bit. The bolt and lower cushion keep it from getting away.  Tighten up the bolt to snug and compress the rubber, and you're back to transmitting the engine vibration to the frame. 

This small point is a surprise, but that's how it was intended to work. I'm guessing that many replacement installations aren't done this way, and don't work nearly as well as they could if done properly. (The cab mounts are similar, but they were installed tight. ) 

Sweet, between the parts diagrams and the pictures I should be able to figure it out!  Thanks so much.  

I wish a club that I will not mention would offer support like this without always wanting me to join their club...  Puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Again, thanks for the help Terry and C49er.

• 4 weeks later...

C49ER, I had a heck of a time getting that counter balance spring(heavy spring on clutch shaft) on.  I finally removed the lower bolt on the bracket and rotated it, but I couldn't get the bolt to start threading back in so I put it back in and took the top bolt out and rotated the bracket and was able to get it threaded back in and tightened.  Then I looked at your pictures and can see slight scratches on the frame from said bracket rotating to install the spring as I had done.  Pictures are worth a thousand words! 

Thanks again for the help!!

• Like 2

• dalef62 changed the title to 1948 Chrysler Windsor distributor rotor location at #1 TDC

Before I took my 1953 engine apart I took a photo and scribed the distributor housing. To ensure I reassemble it properly. Your oil pump drive tab will need to be indexed to match this position. So that the tang that drives the distributor, lines the rotor up in the position seen here.

IMG_7476.jpg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

On 1/13/2021 at 3:26 PM, dalef62 said:

One more question on the Chrysler.  Where should the distributor rotor be pointing for number 1 cylinder? 

Unless you are trying to make the position of the distributor match a wiring diagram or an original factory photo it does not matter where the rotor is pointing.  All that is important is that the wire from there goes to # 1 cylinder when it is at TDC on it's compression stroke.  The rest of the wires just follow around in order CW or CCW depending which way the rotor turns.

keithb7  had the right idea.  Before taking anything apart you should mark the position of everything.  Even with timing gears or chains that are marked, I always make my own marks with a punch because I never know what some previous owner/mechanic has butchered.

1 hour ago, Tinindian said:

Unless you are trying to make the position of the distributor match a wiring diagram or an original factory photo it does not matter where the rotor is pointing.  All that is important is that the wire from there goes to # 1 cylinder when it is at TDC on it's compression stroke.  The rest of the wires just follow around in order CW or CCW depending which way the rotor turns.

keithb7  had the right idea.  Before taking anything apart you should mark the position of everything.  Even with timing gears or chains that are marked, I always make my own marks with a punch because I never know what some previous owner/mechanic has butchered.

I know that I can just put the wires on to match where the rotor is.

I was trying to decide if someone had the distributor out and put it back in a different location, my rotor is pointing in about the same direction as keithb7, but the clips and ears on the distributor are different than mine.

• dalef62 changed the title to 1948 Chrysler Windsor throttle linkage/spring location