1963 Riviera Interior Piece - Leftover

XframeFX

Having finally overcome show-stopping scenarios with my project allowing me to take it out for a drive last week, I have still many loose-ends to do this winter. And it is Winter that is now my show-stopper.

So, the image of a plastic piece below is one of many loose-ends, what is it? I removed it back in the '80s and you'd think I'd remember.

Anyone?

Thank-You in advance!

image.thumb.png.d344fbf1fb225e05f46f2bc1791b4a66.png

15 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Having finally overcome show-stopping scenarios with my project allowing me to take it out for a drive last week, I have still many loose-ends to do this winter. And it is Winter that is now my show-stopper.

So, the image of a plastic piece below is one of many loose-ends, what is it? I removed it back in the '80s and you'd think I'd remember.

Anyone?

Thank-You in advance!

image.thumb.png.d344fbf1fb225e05f46f2bc1791b4a66.png

This is a mystery I just solved last week by accident. I have had this particular piece for quite a while. It had been a throw in with some other trim pieces I had purchased and never could figure out where it went on the driver's seat or how it was mounted. I have my seats out to do some work on them over the winter and was taking apart the front seats to be able to store them more easily and get them off the floor of my shop. I was going to put the bottom of the driver's seat where I wanted it to go and was looking at the bottom seat track. I saw a screw in the seat track that had no apparent purpose and so I was going to take it out. As I was taking it out, I noticed it had been holding a piece of plastic in place. I got the screw out and that piece of plastic stayed in place because it had a tab that fit into a slot on the seat track. I managed to get the piece out and right away I had an "aha" moment. I knew right away where I had seen a tab like that before. Sure enough, it was the left-over piece of what had been the original "mystery" trim piece on my car. I dug out that piece and fitted it on my seat. It goes at the rear of the right-side driver's seat track and is held in place by the tab and and a screw  The long u-shaped trim piece for that side will mount and go around the outside of it. Both of these pieces have to be mounted with the seat out. In the last picture you can see one of the mounting brackets for the other piece that mounts on the right side. The passenger side has a "U" shaped piece that wraps around that is very similar to the pieces that mount on the left of the seat. I have one but, it is in 2 pieces right now. I can get a picture of it if you would like.

Bill

IMG_6304.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

IMG_6302.JPG

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Another Thank-You to Bill!

When he resolved this mystery piece, my 1st thought 'what a useless item'. Did they not bother with this piece for '64 & 65 production and is why we were all scratching our heads? It doesn't even have to be colour-keyed.

My 2nd thought, "I ain't disturbing my carpet" with liberal application of double-sided tape.

Still, I wanted to get it off my shelf - obsessive compulsive . . . .

So, removing 1 seat bolt and loosening another, with a mirror, I got it in!

This is what it looks like and almost completely concealed by the outer skirt on the Driver's Right-Rear bucket seat mount.

image.thumb.png.bd2b96318d073d89739cd5edc9f89368.png

With all these threads on interiors this year. No one has mentioned an essential tool. A good selection of picks and awls, a must!

image.thumb.png.bdaab3193b811a2379bf8c1a82daf89e.png

One day, the seat will have to be removed to clean out the power seat transmission. It will only move forward and aft. Up/down, the motor free wheels. Common issue?

7 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Another Thank-You to Bill!

When he resolved this mystery piece, my 1st thought 'what a useless item'. Did they not bother with this piece for '64 & 65 production and is why we were all scratching our heads? It doesn't even have to be colour-keyed.

My 2nd thought, "I ain't disturbing my carpet" with liberal application of double-sided tape.

Still, I wanted to get it off my shelf - obsessive compulsive . . . .

So, removing 1 seat bolt and loosening another, with a mirror, I got it in!

This is what it looks like and almost completely concealed by the outer skirt on the Driver's Right-Rear bucket seat mount.

image.thumb.png.bd2b96318d073d89739cd5edc9f89368.png

With all these threads on interiors this year. No one has mentioned an essential tool. A good selection of picks and awls, a must!

image.thumb.png.bdaab3193b811a2379bf8c1a82daf89e.png

One day, the seat will have to be removed to clean out the power seat transmission. It will only move forward and aft. Up/down, the motor free wheels. Common issue?

John,

That "mystery" piece comes into view when the back of the seat tilts up. When the seat tilts up the outer trim pieces on the left and right move with the seat revealing the inner pieces which are stationary. Once you get your seat moving up and down you will see this.

Bill

• Like 2