1932 Detroit Electric Chassis

37 minutes ago, Akstraw said:

Restored chassis - ready to begin sheet metal and body installation next week.

So what are you going to do with the batteries?   Do you have the original cases?  I've wondered if EV restorers are substituting more modern technology inside the old cases.

Most Detroit owners seem to be using modern 6-volt golf cart batteries.  That is what I plan to use.  I do not have the originals.

1 hour ago, Akstraw said:

Most Detroit owners seem to be using modern 6-volt golf cart batteries.  That is what I plan to use.  I do not have the originals.

As a 32,  is it an updated earlier car or one of the "newer" looking ones?   In the 30s it seems like they were just building or updating to order.  No spec builds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found this thread backwards... through your post to someone else's post in the more general "Our Cars and Restoration Projects" thread.  I'm interested in following this restoration.. do you have a "start" to the restoration and perhaps a thread about the restoration of the body?

Really great looking car and a fantastic job on it!!

Thanks, Mark!  I hope that you are doing well.  I still have the interior to go.  Another 3-4 months, I expect.  I have been invited to display it at the Hilton Head Concours next fall.

Lun2Wrench, I appreciate your interest.  Sorry there is no detailed thread out there for you to view.  I have been working on this car for about 12 months.  Here are a few shots of the body taken along the way.

Andrew

dehist1.jpg

dehist2.jpg

dehist3.jpg

dehist4.jpg

dehist5.jpg

dehist6.jpg

dehist7.jpg

dehist8.jpg

dehist9.jpg

dehist10.jpg

dehist12.jpg

dehist13.jpg

dehist14.jpg

dehist15.jpg

dehist17.jpg

dehist18.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Here is an update on this project.  I am in the final stage of this restoration; learning how to do the upholstery as I go.  I have had to do most pieces two or three times, but it is coming together nicely.

EC4E8587-BD06-4ABE-A81C-36D3126FA4C4.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would say that today is the day that I finished this project (after 22 months), though you all know they are never really ‘finished’.  Do you recognize this car, Mark?

AC1BBA1E-6A4A-4F62-AE26-A8F979DC51DA.jpeg

0EAB5D4B-140F-4A35-9D0E-24369E30D518.jpeg

• Like 2

Absolutely wonderful!

I have to admit that in the past I have tended to not pay much attention to electrics. However.... that has changed. I am finding them very interesting. Unique style, cool engineering, quality and charm.... love it!

I must say that I never paid much attention to the early electrics until I saw one up close on the third floor of the AACA Museum some 15 or more years ago.  I thought “I might like to own one of those some day”.   Finally, the right one came along at the right time. Still learning about it.  For example:  when a gasoline car dogs out on a hill, you downshift to add more torque; when your electric dogs out on a hill, you upshift (into the higher speed setting), to increase voltage to the DC motor.  It has been a fun project, with still more to learn.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/24/2021 at 1:53 AM, mark plante said:

Andrew,

extremely well done!!!    I had to pull up the pictures when it was in "green".   If you have time ---give me a call.

Mark

Mark Plante, Do you recognize it?

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/7166-1932-detroit-electric-model-97b-brougham/