Recently unearthed Studebaker Treasure

Most likely a 60’s reproduction watch fob or key chain. Would need to see the back side......if my memory is correct.........none of those cars existed at the same time......they other two were bought out by Studebaker. 

• Like 1

Well.... they SORT OF existed at the same time, and the same time would be 1912. The Flanders 20 and the EMF 30 were being sold through the Studebaker (horse drawn) dealer network with Studebaker script hung on the radiators. Studebaker gas powered cars would come along late that year as 1913 models.

That doesn't mean it's period, It just means it's possible.

Bloo.......I checked before I posted. Basically my point was and is you wouldn’t see anything like the fob in period. About 95 percent of fobs and keychains are repops done in the 60’s.......just like radiator badges.

• Like 1

I know what you mean, 95 percent of that sort of stuff floating around is from a later time, and I wouldn't hold much hope of it being a period piece. Nevertheless Studebaker dealers were selling the EMF 30 and the Flanders 20 in 1912, that is a historical fact.

Studebaker-E-M-F.jpg

Studebaker-Flanders-1910.jpg

• Like 1

I agree it’s most likely a 1960’s fantasy reproduction. One dead giveaway on the reproduction ones is the flourish at the strap loop. That flourish is also found on many of the ones marked “ By Geo, Mtta, OH” which are also 60’s made pieces but seem more genuine because they are marked.

Here is a picture of an original marked fob on eBay that I would think is around the period that your fob was trying to impersonate.

13D6061A-267D-4986-8DD8-C8BC3EBB074B.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2020 at 5:42 PM, Tom Devoe said:

Here's a pic of the back. No markings. It doesn't look old to me.

20201021_194202.jpg

Tom,

You are correct, it's not old. I have a few myself I bought back in the mid 70s and these were readily available and being sold back then and were common place at Studebaker activities and shows I went to then. But then again, maybe they are old, at least as old as me, I just never thought of myself as old .... until now .....lol

Edited by 29StudiePrez
Typo (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Studeq - thanks so much for posting photos of your original.  I didn't think the design actually existed, but was 'made up' due to the three automakers existing together for a very short time, as noted by Bloo.  Now I know it is a reproduction of an actual fob.

I may have to get my initials inscribed on the back 😉!!