'74 Toronado, any market??

TampaRiv

Hello Olds guys.  What's the market like for a '74 Toronado?   There is one here in Tampa for sale for 4500, and it needs some stuff.  I'd be tempted to buy it and fix it up for something to do,  but I'd want to get my money back if I decided that the car wasn't my cup of tea.    I have a '63 Riviera and a '67 Newport, so I like the big cars.  But it seems that the interest in the Toros is pretty flat, except for the 66 of course.   Let me know what you think, and thanks,  Rich in Tampa

Contrary to what you may see on TV, you aren't going to make any money at this. The second gen Toros are not particularly collectable, and few malaise-era cars have any big following. Since these are not popular cars to restore, few vendors sell repro parts for them.

If the car has super-rare ACRS (airbags) there may be a little collector interest, but Toronado had gotten a bit "ungainly" by 74 with federal bumper and emission requirements. Low production and attrition to demo derbies mean there aren't many left. If car is very nice, complete and everything works, offer $3500 and you may own a Toronado.

But as Joe says, this is not a quick flip car.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A decent repaint on one would cost way more than the car is worth.

Unless it was garaged all its life, the original 'Magic Mirror' acrylic paint used on GM cars at the time was never that durable in the first place.   

Craig