1961 Ford Taxi on ebay

Its a standard Galaxie Town Sedan 352, Cruise-O-matic . . . . No special taxi equipment to be seen. Interior is too nice to have been a high mileage business use car.  

Perhaps it was used as a movie prop, or an advertising piece, but . . . ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

Its a standard Galaxie Town Sedan 352, Cruise-O-matic . . . . No special taxi equipment to be seen. Interior is too nice to have been a high mileage business use car.  

I agree that it was probably never a real cab. There are no holes in the dash from where the meter was attached and no "Taxi" light on the roof which they all had although I do see a PUC number on the front fenders. A real cab would have probably had a 6 and not a gas guzzling 352 also. I'm no expert but I did drive a cab in San Diego for 7 years from 1985-92. Still it's a cool car....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, m-mman said:

I also agree it is not equipped with the actual 'taxi package' which consisted of HD all-vinyl seats, rubber mats, and zippered headliner, as well as severe service chassis components.   

Many years ago, I saw a 1965 Meteor Rideau taxi in the autowreckers. I now kind of regret not inquiring if it was available whole.  I did save the cable-operated inside trunk release from it, though.

Craig