For Sale: 1959 Rambler Rebel V8 Super - $2,450 - Lee's Summit, MO - Not Mine

58L-Y8

For Sale: 1959 Rambler Rebel V8 Super - $2,450 - Lee's Summit, MO

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/d/independence-1957-rambler-super/7197520647.html

If interested, take a look first. your welcome to check it out.
Parked at 28009 E Colbern Rd. ,  Lee's Summit, MO 64086, Close to Lake Lotawana Mo.  Let him know JoAnna sent you!  As-is, Great project car!  The 1957 Rambler Rebel is credited for being the first factory-produced intermediate-sized high-performance car. 

Contact:  call Robert with serious inquiries only... (816)-5-nine-9-one-2-5-nine

Copy and paste in your email:  None listed.

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1959 Rambler Rebel V8 Super sedan.

Note: Although the seller states the 1957 Rambler Rebel was a high-performance car, this 1959 Rebel V8 has the 250 ci AMC V8, is essentially the V8 version of the Rambler Six.  However, it would be an inexpensive entry-level car for someone wanting an older collector car, something for a young person to learn on.

'59 Rambler Rebel V8 Super MO a.jpg

'59 Rambler Rebel V8 Super MO b.jpg

'59 Rambler Rebel V8 Super MO c.jpg

'59 Rambler Rebel V8 Super MO d.jpg

'59 Rambler Rebel V8 Super MO e.jpg

On 9/20/2020 at 8:16 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

The 1957 Rambler Rebel was a high-performance. limited-edition, one year only model...The 1959 Rebel V8 was just a run-of-the-mill V8 Rambler.

Late to the discussion, but to emphasize the point, I think I read that the '57 Rebel could outperform the '57 Chevy Bel Air Power Pack (283 multi carb.) in straight line acceleration. I'm going off of memory here, so don't take my word for it. I believe it was behind very few production cars from other makers in '57 in that respect, like maybe the Corvette or the supercharged T-Bird, etc.

As far as the Rebel becoming a more standard model after it's initial year, it's interesting that Mercury did a similar thing with it's " Super Marauder" (model or option, I can't remember which) in 1958 or '59 (again, I can't remember which 🙂.) Throughout the 1960's the Marauder was a relatively mundane version of the full size Merc. engine, but when it was first introduced in the late '50's, there was a version with the "super" prefix that was the first American production car to be rated at 400 hp. There were standard Marauders that weren't muscle cars, though. The Super Marauder had maybe the prettiest multi-carb air cleaner styling of any American car ever made, making the engine bay look decades ahead of it's time.

In different ways, both AMC and FoMoCo made the Rebel and Marauder names identified with factory hot rods, then used the name on more ordinary cars for years afterwards. A little deceptive, IMO, but America was more of a car culture back then, so maybe buyers were savvy to the trick.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JamesR said:

In different ways, both AMC and FoMoCo made the Rebel and Marauder names identified with factory hot rods, then used the name on more ordinary cars for years afterwards. A little deceptive, IMO, but America was more of a car culture back then, so maybe buyers were savvy to the trick.

AMC and Mercury were two automakers floundering for a theme, a reputation and legacy, so names were just words that meant nothing. 

AMC wasn't Hudson and it wasn't Nash, they were effectively a brand new automaker with no past (and a questionable future) during these years. 

Mercury was struggling to decide if was it a Lincoln? or a Ford? (their use of completely different bodies during these years was rather dramatic) Was it an expensive cheap car? or a inexpensive luxury car?

The use of these names represent throwing everything you have at the wall and seeing what sticks.  

They were reinventing themselves each and every year. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 1