1957 rear axle assembly would it fit under a 1958?

Buickboy58

I believe both the 57 and the 58 had the same frame except the only component differences underside would be the front control arms for the different upper and lower ball joints used in 1958 from that of the first off 1957 model year for ball joints.  The 58 was somewhat heavier than the 57 models but shared the same power train i.e. 364 engine.  So I believe it would be a simple switch like to like.   

For some reason, I am thinking the 58 splines that go into the transmission have one blind (flat) spline, and the 57 did not.  Can anyone confirm?  I distinctly remember fighting my 58 trying to get them together, not knowing about that spline...then finally figuring it out.  But I don't recall this on any of the 57's I've taken apart or put together.

10 hours ago, Smartin said:

For some reason, I am thinking the 58 splines that go into the transmission have one blind (flat) spline, and the 57 did not.  Can anyone confirm?  I distinctly remember fighting my 58 trying to get them together, not knowing about that spline...then finally figuring it out.  But I don't recall this on any of the 57's I've taken apart or put together.

I don't know but it seems probable because they rebalanced the assembly in 58 such that the splines line up differently on the front shaft going into the torque ball in 58 vs. 57.

1 minute ago, lancemb said:
10 hours ago, Smartin said:

I don't know but it seems probable because they rebalanced the assembly in 58 such that the splines line up differently on the front shaft going into the torque ball in 58 vs. 57.

With 2 universal joints in the system there would have be some way to clock it correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1