Corvair cutting out :/

Duff71Riv

19 minutes ago, padgett said:

Yes, you pull the stock rotor, points, and condensor & replace with the Pertronix. Then swap the coil.

Then put everything you just took out of the distributor and put it in the glove box, so you can get the car back home when the Pertronix fails!

Why rotor? That has nothin gto do with the Pertronix.

No need to swap coils to use Pertronix. He already swapped coils with the Riviera to test if his coil was bad.

Then there is Pertronix original Ignitor or Ignitor II. II has known issues with the Powerglide transmission.

I'm with John, fix what is there now, or you will be further down the rabbit hole with more parts to be bad.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Troubleshooting 101:

You need three things in a cylinder to make an engine run. Lose only one and it quits.

1. Air

2. Fuel

3. Spark at the right time.

Seeing if the accelerator pumps spray fuel when it quits shows if fuel starvation is the issue.

Seeing if pulling the center lead out of the distributor and holding it 1/4" away from ground (engine block, heads, brackets, etc) while someone cranks the engine shows if spark is present (but not if it is in time). 

Seeing if the air cleaner is clogged should show if air is present. But I have never seen an air cleaner so clogged the engine would not fire.

• Thanks 1

OK just saying what worked for me (66 110 hp powerglide Monza vert).

Agree you replace the rotor but easier to do the rest with the rotor removed.

I also used the higher energy (claimed) coil.

Never a bit of trouble.

Did keep removed parts in a big baggie. Always carry a tool kit in cars including a spare ignition if I have one.

Also like snowflakes.

snowon.jpg

27 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

But I have never seen an air cleaner so clogged the engine would not fire.

I have, but it was one of those little 4 inch diameter jobs that some guys think are cool.

The car would start I guess but no way would it drive and of coarse it got worse as it warmed up.

I was referred to as genius when I tossed the guys air cleaner to fix his car. It was high school, about 65 or so, and it was a 56 Ford.

Its a funny thing that I can remember details from 55 years ago but don't remember what I did yesterday.

• Haha 3

On 9/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, padgett said:

Agree you replace the rotor

Yes, make sure you replace the same rotor back onto the distributor shaft. I can’t tell you how many times the car would not start after working in the distributor.......😃  Hey, is that thing laying on the rear crossmember important??????

Thousands of Pertronix units working in GM 6 cylinder distributors. Just warning not to use it as a troubleshooting method. Fix what is there first. Unless Pertronix is already installed, then it is substitute another, or put the points plate back in.

There is a known problem with Pertronix Ignitor II and Powerglides. The Ignitor I was in my daughter’s 110 PG when I bought it. Still in there working 10 years later.