57 Century 2DR HT

g-g-g0

How many anodized aluminum trim “bows” are there in a Century 2 DR HT. These are the trim pieces that fit up next to the headliner and visible inside the car. Roughly 3/4” wide channel formed to fit the contour of the top. NOT the rods that are hidden by the head liner and actually support it. 

A picture would be helpful. I believe there is either 3 or 4. Just want clarification.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary: Here is what I know .... My 57 RM coupe has 3 of them and they are chromed and not polished stainless. My 57 model 75 4 door has 3 as well and they too are chrome plated tin as I removed them along with their corresponding rods to replace the headliner.  Perhaps the Century has anodized but my Caballero Century were highly polished aluminum.  In comparison the 57 Cadillacs were polished aluminum.  

Edit:  Oh and I have found that attempting to find these are next to impossible for whatever reason.  I some 10 casual years of looking for some I have never found them on eBay, trade or hobby sites or rags.  I found a set of 3 out of a 57 Cad coupe in a Salvage yard 6 years ago.  They were polished aluminum but can develop oxidation and pit.  

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Buick Man

Thanks for your response and input. I think that the Century had 3 but has been a long time since I saw a car. Could I get you to send me a picture showing the location/placement Roadmaster? I suspect that the placement was similar in the small series cars.

As for availability I agree they are a pretty scarce item. I do have a set (3 pieces) that I think I removed from an Olds 98 coupe (same body as a Century coupe) I parted out a number of years ago. My tagging and identification skills were lacking when I removed them! I did part out 3 or 4 Century and Oldsmobile Super 88’s/98 4 DR HT’s and I have the trim from them. I think I have 3 sets that would fit the 4DR HT’s. 

Again, thanks for the input and would appreciate a picture if possible.

Gary

Gary :  Starting from the windshield and proceeding towards the rear glass, you should have 3 rod pickup points to hold the headliner up and in place not placed between the windshield and rear glass.  The original headliner was joined in sections at each of these points making up 4 sections just after the windshield and just before the windshield.  At each seam a cardboard shim is sewn into the seam and this is what the metal bows slide into via their back side.  You instal/slidel them from port to starboard and remove them the same way.  Then install the metal crown over the side windows and the center dome lights which on the Roadmaster has one port and one starboard at the center intersection between the front and rear side window glass.

Edit :  To be clear there is a space or section seam of headliner between each metal bow.  So starting at the windshield juncture proceed rearward and the first seam has no metal bow.  The next headliner seam has the first metal bow attached.  The continuing to the rear the next headliner seam has no metal bow but the next one does.  It follows this pattern to the rear window.  Hope this is more clear.  I have attached an old achieved photo of my coupe showing how the metal bows start in conjuncture with the head liner seams.  If you have a 4-door the same placement applies

1101685347_DavesRoadmasterCoupeApril210-4.thumb.JPG.a22fc0e58a3363b945e6b641f4ca2737.JPG

Edited by buick man (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thank your for responding to my question concerning the interior headliner “bows” for a 57 66R. I have several bows for cars that I have parted out. Most were 4 DR HT’s bit at least one was a coupe. I’m trying to confirm that I have a set from a coupe.  Do you have a picture of the interior, especially the headliner, before you started your restoration! If so I would really appreciate a copy! Also if you could measure the width and the height (distance of the bow when placed on a flat surface to the crown of the bow). Would really appreciate any info/dimensions that you can provide.

Got some measurements.

Bow1: Width = 51 31/32in Crown = 5 3/4in

Bow2: Width = 53 5/16in Crown = 8 21/32in

I could not find any pictures.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

57 Century, 

Glad you could help Gary. Now I am looking for some help. I need the dimensions of the aluminum trim attached to the headliner on the interior of the 66R, from the A pillar to the C pillar. I think that they are aluminum, and I have 2 sets, but not sure if they are the right ones. Also a picture of one of them installed would be totally appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

On 9/5/2020 at 11:11 AM, g-g-g0 said:

How many anodized aluminum trim “bows” are there in a Century 2 DR HT. These are the trim pieces that fit up next to the headliner and visible inside the car. Roughly 3/4” wide channel formed to fit the contour of the top. NOT the rods that are hidden by the head liner and actually support it. 

A picture would be helpful. I believe there is either 3 or 4. Just want clarification.

Thanks,

Gary

Hey Gary

On the 54-56 Olds, which I found fit my Buick, the bows are number stamped. I found the numbers on the back side of one end the "fork" with slots for attaching to the car with screws. The front bow had the two digit number 70, 2nd 71, 3rd was 72. I hafta think GM had assembly line orientation in mind as a reference for 2dr vs 4 dr ht etc. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

On 9/28/2020 at 7:49 PM, 1957buickjim said:

57 Century, 

Glad you could help Gary. Now I am looking for some help. I need the dimensions of the aluminum trim attached to the headliner on the interior of the 66R, from the A pillar to the C pillar. I think that they are aluminum, and I have 2 sets, but not sure if they are the right ones. Also a picture of one of them installed would be totally appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Let me see what I can find. I think I know what you are looking for.