1939 Buick Special convertible with some modififications for salel eBay.

There is a 1939 Buick convertible coupe in North Apollo, PA listed on eBay.  It is mostly original but with some interesting modifications and incorrect applications.  Skirts are not original GM and it has stream boards without rear fender stone gauards, no woodgrain on dash or factory radio.  It has a 1940 straight 8, rebuilt with insert rod bearings and that's great, but doesn't mention using the later 1941-53 oil pump which is much improved.  Has 1941 dual carb setup and dual pipes.  Chrome is nice, interior and top is very nicely done.  I'd like to have it for knocking around town, but I've already sold my convertible sedan and have been trying to cut back in deference to my 80+ years.

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

, but doesn't mention using the later 1941-53 oil pump which is much improved.  

can you shed some more light on this. I have a ‘38 Special but not had the pan off yet. I bought a bunch of  ‘47 Buick parts that which includes an oil pump.

Not wanting to disturb this post, but keen to know more and a picture of what the latter looks like!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

2 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

can you shed some more light on this. I have a ‘38 Special but not had the pan off yet. I bought a bunch of  ‘47 Buick parts that which includes an oil pump.

Not wanting to disturb this post, but keen to know more and a picture of what the latter looks like!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

The 1941-53 oil pump in the small engine had larger gears and produced better oil pressure when hot.  It will fit the small series 40 Buick all the way back to 1934 as well as the 1940 series 50.  I makes an excellent improvement in these cars.  1950 series 40 248 cubic inch insert rod bearing fit at least back to 1937 and greatly improve the engine if you can get them.  However, you have to also get the 1950 rods or have your old rods re-machined to take the insert bearings. Hope that answers your question.  We must be 75th cousins or something.  Not many Beauchamp's out there.

Great looking car. Query?:  EBAY says the owner in his restoration placed a 1940 Engine in the vehicle. What does placing a 1940 engine in the car do to the value when everything else done on the car appears to be restored correct and with a high quality restoration? With all the 1939 Buick engines that I suppose are available since the last 10 years for use including ones located in various "parts cars" why did the owner not install a 1939 Engine?  Or is the 1940 Engine a mirror of the 1939 Engine? 

21 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

Great looking car. Query?:  EBAY says the owner in his restoration placed a 1940 Engine in the vehicle. What does placing a 1940 engine in the car do to the value when everything else done on the car appears to be restored correct and with a high quality restoration? With all the 1939 Buick engines that I suppose are available since the last 10 years for use including ones located in various "parts cars" why did the owner not install a 1939 Engine?  Or is the 1940 Engine a mirror of the 1939 Engine? 

If you read the full description of what the seller did and what his goal was for this car, you will see that he was not going for a contest restoration that was going to be subject to judging criteria.  He was going for a nice dependable driver that was mostly "correct," and I think he accomplished that goal.  The '40 engine is very similar to the '39, but has some improvements as indicated (insert rod bearings).  The seller also installed the '41 dual carb system. This kind of "upgrading" is fairly common for these cars and I think probably increases their value as long as it's understood that it's not being sold as a 100% "correct" restoration.  I agree with Earl that this is a very desirable car and would be a lot of fun for "knocking around town."

On 8/31/2020 at 3:02 PM, BucketofBolts said:

On 9/1/2020 at 12:13 PM, neil morse said:

If you read the full description of what the seller did and what his goal was for this car, you will see that he was not going for a contest restoration that was going to be subject to judging criteria.  He was going for a nice dependable driver that was mostly "correct," and I think he accomplished that goal.  The '40 engine is very similar to the '39, but has some improvements as indicated (insert rod bearings).  The seller also installed the '41 dual carb system. This kind of "upgrading" is fairly common for these cars and I think probably increases their value as long as it's understood that it's not being sold as a 100% "correct" restoration.  I agree with Earl that this is a very desirable car and would be a lot of fun for "knocking around town."

It doesn't affect the value very much, except in AACA judging.  The engine is nearly the same, except for the location of the dipstick.  That isn't known by the average AACA judge.  Yes, I would have tried to use a '39 serieal number had I done this car.  I found and rebuilt a '39 engine for the green convertible I restored to AACA National Award Status (The Dunham Award).  You mention the car is otherwise restored correctly, which it certain is not.  It is missing the rubber stone pads on the rear fenders that all 39 Buicks came with IF they also had optional metal streamboards, which this one does.  It also has sealed beam headlight converstions.  It has a painted dash instead of mahogany woodgrain.  And most of all it has 1941 dual carbs and manifold.  It is a real nice driver, and that is what the man says it is.  At least it isn't a dagone streetrod with a V-8 engine.

On 9/1/2020 at 12:13 PM, neil morse said:

The '40 engine didn't come with insert rod bearings.  You have to find a 1950 Special and use the rods with new insert bearings.  The rods can be machined if the machinist is sure they each weigh exactly the same and then 1950 Special inserts can be used.  Be careful to read "SERIES 40 SPECIAL).  1950 Super (Series 50) engines had the 263 cid engine and nothing will interchange.

• Like 1