64 dies

TallJohn

Hi all. In my last post I was having charging problems. Problem was fixed by replacing my new Delco Remy voltage regulator which was bad out of the box ( $89.00 non returnable!) with a solid state VR from O Reilly's ( !! $34.00) and the 2 wire pig tail that plugs into the back of the alternator had the wires reversed from the factory. Reversed them and all was well, or so I thought. Consistent VR reads 13.9 to 14.1. Yay. Now however on my last three drives after the new charging parts installed, the car dies after driving for approx 10 min. Pull over to the side of the road, Starts right up and on my way. Today it stalled twice though. Scary safety issue( help no brakes!! ha) . No chugging, wierd noises or anything . It just dies. So I guess my question is has anyone had a similar problem? Do you think it is related to the alternator or VR?  Car has never done this before. Coincidental to the new parts or a new problem? Im kind of thinking it electrical related... relays? Any thoughts?  The car runs like a bat out of hell, but since the new parts change out a couple of weeks ago the current problem popped up.  Thanks, John 

I agree with Tom. The method i use to determine that is to run a hot wire off the positive of the battery directly to the 12v  side of the ignition coil. If it stays on , your problem is in the ignition circuit somewhere between the switch and the 12v side of the coil. The problem is most likely at the connector in the back of the ignition switch. They get hot back there sometimes even to the point of melting the connector plastic, causing a poor connection. I had the same problem as you and that is where the problem was. Good luck

I changed out my hatched southern instrument harness with a northern harness that had only 1 problem, corroded fuse box contacts. One of the problems with the previous harness was a missing plug for the ignition switch. So, individual wires on each ignition switch terminal. Very Crude.

John B.

Thanks for the replies. I will delve into the ignition switch  deeper. In the meantime, I switched back to an original type VR. Took out the new, but inexpensive solid state VR. No problems as for now. Three drives, did not die. Ignition switch and distributor ground wire will get a good look when the weather cools down! Thanks everyone....