1st Gen Fuel Tank - Replace or Coat Original?

XframeFX

Looking for any insight on this as my searches come close but nothing on the Tank.

One of our faithful Suppliers of Buick parts not only has SS Fuel Pickup/Senders but also Gas Tanks and Straps. I have become leery of aftermarket parts more than ever, finding they frequently fall short of OEM.

1) Did GM install Galvanized fuel tanks in our Rivieras?

2) Has anyone out there purchased and installed one of these repro fuel tanks? Any issues?

The repro tank is NOT galvanized and is painted silver.

I just removed my tank after extracting disgusting old fuel. I discovered the tank is a junkyard replacement with damp spots on it's disgusting exterior. However,the inside appears clean and uncoated. It has an incorrect Non AC Pickup which I'll replace.

Taking the junkyard tank to a local radiator shop and having them treat it to a Red Kote Liner will cost $375. I'm thinking, for that amount, I can purchase a repro tank. But being plain steel, the new tank might benefit from the Red Kote treatment as well.

I remember having the fuel tank replaced in my '87 Grand National after 10 years. Afterwards, why was the fuel pump so noisy? It turns-out the original tank had a bladder and the substandard replacement did not. The fuel pump was the exciter and the tank the loudspeaker!

John B.

Concensus from people on other forums is to never coat the inside of a fuel tank. It seems the coating eventually begins to peel and block the fuel lines.

I'm curious if the first gen Riv shared its fuel tank with any other GM products before or later? Just going by number of gallons, later GM A bodies used 20 gallon tanks - same amount as the Riv. 

I had immediate response from KBS Coatings and Red Kote regarding fuel additives affecting a coated tank. One claimed no problem and the other said a PEA based fuel system cleaner will take the coating off.

Also, I'm told steam cleaning is preferred over boiling out the tank with a rad shop's solution.

My original concern was a reproduced tank rusting aggressively. 2nd to that if baffles are in place.

I plan to re-use my tank without coating, THANK-YOU for the feedback!

Oh, on another Post there was concern on the tank's 3/8" vent at the rear. Looping the hose over the filler neck should be maintained but I noticed there must be a baffle inside. During inspection, no light came out of that vent.

John B.

OK John: i had my tank coated.  it was drilled on both sides so there were 4 entry points and media blasted. Cleaned and then sprayed with an epoxy. I have cars that should look that good.  No more problems.  $300 in San Leandro, CA.   A 1960 Buick tank is IDENTICAL to a First-gen Riviera. just the filler neck is angled differently.  The problem with my tank was microscopic particulate matter getting past the fuel filter messing up the carb.  Mitch

• Like 1