The Street Rod Nationals start today in Louisville....

Lebowski

I know a lot of you guys aren't into street rods but there are always thousands of old cars there that aren't street rods like stock prewar vehicles, lots of cars from the '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s, etc. The majority of it is outside in the parking lot so you don't have to worry about being packed into the middle of a large crowd indoors. Check it out if you get a chance....

https://nsra-usa.com

• Like 1

Hmmmmm....but aren’t you going to be in the middle of a large crowd OUTDOORS at this event?  People can call bs all day long, but a lot of folks are dying, and even the survivors can have medical problems the rest of their life.  Not worth the risk to me....

• Like 7

I went in 2002.  11,764 cars and trucks back when NSRA was 1948 & earlier.  We parked our motorhome in the parking lot as saw

the outside show from our air conditioned 1935 Buick.  It was about 105 degrees, is that hot enough to kill the virus, or do I have to'

drink bleach?   No crowds of people outside, but inside it was a zoo.  The qualllity of the work was an awsome sight.

While in the area we visited Churchill Downs, Fort Knox, the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, the Corvette factory and took in the

2002 AACA Sentimental Tour.  (We had a deposit on our 1934 Ford Phaeton and got permission to bring a newer car.  After all some

people do it Grandma's Mercury Grand Marquis)  What a great trip, but I should have kept the Phaeton.

2002Louisville.jpg

2002Tour.jpg

2002NSRA.jpg

23 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Churchill Downs is still around but I'll bet that Schnuckie unfortunately isn't.... :(

That''s correct, dogs are a short term joy.  Her sister died on that trip in Bowling Green,  Both miniature schnauzers.  

Smart little dogs that last about 15 years if you are lucky.  

I left the NSRA  when they went to newer cars.  To me a old car with a newer driveline is still a old car, it does not become a

Tesla just because it's modified.  I wish NSRA did that show in cooler weather, like Hershey.  I went many times to their shows

in Tampa FL in February, didn't need my A/C there.  Won "Best Odd Rod" with the Buick.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:23 PM, trimacar said:

Hmmmmm....but aren’t you going to be in the middle of a large crowd OUTDOORS at this event?  People can call bs all day long, but a lot of folks are dying, and even the survivors can have medical problems the rest of their life.  Not worth the risk to me....

I agree, but isn't it nice to be able to decide for oneself not to attend a particular event rather than not to have the event at all?  As to all the folks who choose to attend, I wish them well.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, capngrog said:

I agree, but isn't it nice to be able to decide for oneself not to attend a particular event rather than not to have the event at all?  As to all the folks who choose to attend, I wish them well.

Cheers,

Grog

Yes, having the choice is good, and agree wish them well....a friend sent pictures and said there’s a big crowd and little social distancing....also sent a picture of a Packard hot rod just to bug me!

• Like 1

Giving people a choice is not the issue. I'm a good example because if the A.A.C.A did not cancel HERSHEY, I would have gone. I admit that would have been foolish on my part. Unfortunately some people will make bad decisions just to satisfy themselves, so the decision should be made for them. The National Street Rod Association had cancelled every one of their event's except Louisville. Why, does Louisville have some magic potent that will prevent the spread of the virus? You can not tempt people to do selfish things, because they will. I commend the A.A.C.A. for protecting us and cancelling HERSHEY, thank you A.A.C.A.

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Giving people a choice is not the issue. I'm a good example because if the A.A.C.A did not cancel HERSHEY, I would have gone. I admit that would have been foolish on my part. Unfortunately some people will make bad decisions just to satisfy themselves, so the decision should be made for them. The National Street Rod Association had cancelled every one of their event's except Louisville. Why, does Louisville have some magic potent that will prevent the spread of the virus? You can not tempt people to do selfish things, because they will. I commend the A.A.C.A. for protecting us and cancelling HERSHEY, thank you A.A.C.A.

When you let people decide things for you,  they won't only stop at car shows but every aspect of your life.  It's called being a subject when you don't get a say.  Kind of counter to what the whole country was founded on when we decided to not be subjects of England. 

I think the whole reason behind cancelling was they didn't want to plan for it,  then have some last minute or even month earlier state edict that banned it, or even a spike that they felt might not make it safe.  The uncertainty was the driving force.  With limited resources,  last thing you want to do is go all in,  and have the plug pulled so you lose your investment of resources. Both monetary and time.

I don't blame them one bit.  I would have done the same especially since there seems to be no rhyme or reason to much of what has been done so far. 

When a limited number of people protested for their right to work (peacefully) they were run through the grinder by the news because of social distancing.  Protest and riot over anything and everything else,  free pass and even support of the press without any mention of the social distancing guidelines. 

• Like 5

Went  down to Georgia today to see a first year car show.  Finally found it and it had many cars & trucks parked 3 feet apart

and lots of people walking around looking.  Only saw one wearing a mask, so we turned around and left without getting out of

our air conditioned old El Camino.   Not surprised that Georgia is experiencing a surge of COVID-19.  Will peole ever take this

seriously?  With all the precautions we've taken in the last 6 months, it was not worth the risk, just to see some not very old

collector cars.

• Like 1