Proposed Wisconsin YOM law

Guest tin knocker

Guest tin_knocker

Representative Jerry Petrowski has agreed to introduce a bill in the Wisconsin Assembly for the establishment of a year of manufacture ( YOM ) license plate law. Owners of registered collector vehicles would be allowed to display YOM plates as the vehicles legal plates. This bill is currently in the form of a preliminary draft and will be introduced in January. It was drawn up with input from Kieth Van Egdom and the Madison Vintage Auto Club.

I talked yesterday with Kathy Marschman of Jerrys office who is handling this bill. She asked if there were other clubs in the state who would sign on as co-sponsors, which would give the bill more backing and better prospects of passage.

So-- I encourage all Wisconsin clubs to call Kathy at 888 534 0086 and ask to be included as co-sponsors. If you like, I am sure she would send you a preliminary draft copy. She would also welcome any additional suggestions. Any support would be greatly appreciated.

The only concern that I would want to address with this legislation would be the plates. In New York, if you cancel the insurance on the car, you have to surrender the license plates. If you have the year of manufacture plates on the car, you lose the plates if you cancel the insurance. I'm not saying that I have intentions of cancelling my insurance, but that is something to think about. Especially if you've paid good money to get the vintage plates to begin with.

Glad to hear Wisconsin is finally consdering YOM plates.

In Maryland,.... amazingly enough in the state I am convinced tries to take the fun out of anything remotely interesting......

we can run YOM plates on the car. We register the car to a regular set of modern "Historic" plates for small fee. Then you

register the YOM plates for a one time fee of $10 or $15 (I forget which). The modern Historic plates go under the seat.. in

the trunk..wherever..and the YOM plates are installed on the car. The YOM plates are registered to the car. I believe that,

since the car is legally registered to the modern plates, any drop of insurance would result in the loss of the modern plates.

YOM plates look so much better and natural on an old car than modern, reflective plates.

Good luck on the legislation!

Bruce ~ YOM plates are one of the few things I missed after leaving the Peoples Republic of Maryland. I still have all of the sets of YOM Maryland plates which I had registered for my various cars while in Maryland. When I left the state I do not think they ever asked for anything back, even the modern "historic" plates from "under the seat". Maybe that was because I never did anything with the insurance other than change to address. I just left town.

Had the Maryland MVA ever tried to get my plates after leaving Maryland they would have had to chase me down.

hvs

Loss of plates shouldn't be an issue in Wisconsin since, to my knowledge, car insurance isn't mandatory here.

I'll pass this info on to our local region's new president. I'm sure we'll want to show our support for it.

Jan K.

Wis Region

I guess we have it better in VA than most other states since we don't have to fool with registering both a regular plate and then the YOM plate to a car, or renew them annually. Permanent YOM or "Vintage" plates are treated the same as the state-issued "Antique" plate. You register it to the car, paying a one-time fee, and the registration is then permanent until you decide to surrender the plates. You can, if you wish, register a YOM as a regular plate and renew it every year but what's the point in that? No cost savings there.

We don't have mandatory insurance here either, though uninsured cars are required to pay an Uninsured Motorist Fee before tags are issued or renewed. last time I looked it was about $500.

VADMV will send out a questionnaire on your insurance coverage every so often. At one time, I was getting those notices every year on every car I had. Finally complained about it and was told it was randomly computer-selected by license number. With 5 cars on annual registration at the time, I guess I was a good target. But since the complaint I haven't gotten one in years.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tin_knocker

I would like to thank those who expressed support for this bill and ask those of you who can get your clubs to sign on to do so as it will be introduced soon.