1926 Buick Standard no spark

buickman26

Did a tune up on 1926 Standard --replaced spark plugs--cap--rotor--condenser and coil. Also put new battery in it. Before I did this the car started no problem at all very easily. When I would blow the horn the voltage gauge on dash would move--does not do that now. The gauge would also move when I would crank the engine--not now though. The engine does crank over. Carb has gas in bowl so that is not the problem. It almost seems like when I turn the ignition switch on it is not putting power into car to provide spark. Also checked all wires to make sure they were attached. TIA for your help

Mike

Attached is the wiring diagram. If it cranks over, you have a good ground.  Look for voltage on the coil + terminal when the ignition switch is on.  Negative is the points side.   Work your way back toward the battery with a tester if no power on the + on the coil with the ignition on.   Maybe your points are gapped to wide.  Inspect that they are closed when on the flat part of the distributor cam.  Rotate the engine where the points are open.   Pull the coil wire from the middle of the cap.  Turn the ignition on.  Put the end of the coil main wire near the engine block. cross the points with a screwdriver.  Every time you cross the points you should see a spark jump.   

Hugh 

383597096_1926BuickWiringdiagram.thumb.jpg.2f28343968d54cd7dc89bdf29017f290.jpg

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Mike, 

When you look at the electical circuit that Hugh attached, you can see that the whole electical system of the car runs through the ammeter,  The starter motor is the only one that doesn,t.  As you said, in the past when you pressed the horn button,  a discharge showed on the ammeter, which is correct. Anything turned on will show a discharge on the ammeter when the engine is not running. Are your lights working. Check that the wire from the starter motor terminal to the ammeter is properly connected. Is the battery in the right way,  -ve to ground/earth.

Rod

Edited by Rod Wise (see edit history)

You have good advice here , but what you did should have NOTHING to do with the horn not showing discharge. If the horn works and the meter isn't moving it may be stuck - sat too long.  try tapping the dash beside the meter see if the needle is free. Your no start problem is most likely points followed by a wire grounded (that shouldn't be) on the point side of the coil circuit.  Just thinking of what I've done incorrectly with these things.