1951 Buick 263 straight 8

Lance D. Gill

i’m having a serious problem with the amount of heat that is coming from the engine into the passenger compartment. The exhaust from the engine points directly toward the firewall which I believe is the cause of this aggravating problem. Is there any way to divert this heat problem from the engine away from the firewall so that the passenger compartment is not ridiculously hot as you’re trying to enjoy a drive in the car? 

EE6A4FA2-D0BD-466B-9420-ADB7A336A5E7.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a '41 which may be a little different, but are you sure the exhaust "points directly toward the firewall?"  I believe the exhaust exits the manifold and is routed down below the firewall.  I'm wondering about your heater.  Does your car have a heater under the seat?  Does the heater core have a shut-off valve on the engine where the heater hose exits the thermostat housing?  If so, maybe you need to close the valve so the heater isn't "on" all the time?  By '51, Buick might have had a temperature control valve on the dash -- I don't know.  I'm just going by what I have in my '41.  By the way, your car looks magnificent!

Neil

I agree with Neil.  BEAUTIFUL car.

My 1950 is pretty warm as well. I discovered a LOT of the heat was entering through the vent that did not "seal" real well. Try removing the flex hose from the inner fender mounted tube to the cowl, stuff something [ towel? ] inside and reinstall the hose. Helped mine some. Maybe both sides? 

Neil's advice is right on as far as the heater goes as well.  Mine has shut off valves. You should be careful and not block the transmission coolant.

Stay with us. More pictures of that convert, please.

Ben

• Like 1