how to turn engine over manually 1938 Buick 81F

cwe7661@rcn.com

The Buick has been stored for prolonged period, and I'm hesitant to put in a battery and try to rotate the engine using the starter.  I did put lubricating oil and PB Blaster into the cylinders.  Would like to use a breaker bar if necessary to try to ease in rotation, but cannot find a way to access the bolt at the forward end of the crank like Fords have.

Transmission type?  If it’s manual you might be able to put it in gear and with the  spark plugs out, turn it over by turning the rear wheels assuming the rear of the car is on jack stands.

Or you could use the tool made for the job. A flywheel turner wrench. This particular one is sold by MAC tools but there are dozens of different ones.  I have had/used one for over 60 years.

flywheel turner wrench.jpg

Edited by Guest
more info (see edit history)

On 6/29/2020 at 12:36 AM, cwe7661@rcn.com said:

The Buick has been stored for prolonged period, and I'm hesitant to put in a battery and try to rotate the engine using the starter.  I did put lubricating oil and PB Blaster into the cylinders.  Would like to use a breaker bar if necessary to try to ease in rotation, but cannot find a way to access the bolt at the forward end of the crank like Fords have.

You will get more answers and help in the Buick prewar subform

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/60-buick-pre-war-technical/

We like photos!!

Yes damper bolt is hard to get to with all the front bits in place. That flywheel wrench would be the trick.

I also would like to see photos. My father has a 38-81F as well they are exceedingly rare. Only a handful known to exist. Maybe 6?